Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ringoes in Hunterdon County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Amwell Academy

 
 
Amwell Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Alan Edelson, February 25, 2009
1. Amwell Academy Marker
Inscription. Built in 1811 as a private school. In 1869 the Larison brothers, Dr. C.W. and Rev. A.B. opened their seminary at Ringoes. Building is one of the finest examples of Federal Architecture in N.J.
 
Erected by East Amwell Township Historic Commission.
 
Location. 40° 26.169′ N, 74° 51.804′ W. Marker is in Ringoes, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker is on Old York Road (New Jersey Route 179), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ringoes NJ 08551, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of St. Andrew's Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Academy af Arts & Science (approx. 0.3 miles away); Steam Era Signal & Switchstand (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ringoes (approx. half a mile away); Landis House (approx. half a mile away); Ringo's Tavern (approx. half a mile away); East Amwell Veterans Honor Roll (approx. half a mile away); United First Presbyterian Church of Amwell (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Ringoes.
 
Categories. EducationNotable Buildings
 
Amwell Academy (Courtesy of the Historic American Building Survey, Library of Congress) image. Click for full size.
By Nathaniel R. Ewan, September 21, 1938
2. Amwell Academy (Courtesy of the Historic American Building Survey, Library of Congress)
The HABS data sheet for this structure indicates that title to the land was given from Titus Quick and his wife to the Amwell Academy trustees on May 1, 1811, and that much of the work on the building was contributed by local masons, carpenters and farmers. The building was used as a school until 1830, when it closed. The Larisons opened their seminary, open to both sexes, in 1869, and operated it until its closure in 1881.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 736 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey.   2. submitted on . • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement