Barnsville in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
“Before night our town changed hands ﬁve times!”
óAntietam Campaign 1862 ó
The next few days were peaceful here, but on September 9 the war came to Barnesville in a hurry, past this very spot. The 8th Illinois Cavalry, following a skirmish with the 12th Virginia Cavalry at Monocacy Church, pushed on to Barnesville and struck part of the 9th Virginia Cavalry just south of town in the afternoon. The outnumbered Virginians raced by here through town, and two miles north they found the rest of their regiment as well as the 7th Virginia Cavalry. Suddenly it was the Federals' turn to be outnumbered; the fled south down Beallsville Road, with the Confederates on their heels. South of town, two companies and a battery of the 3rd Indiana Cavalry reinforced the hard-riding Union cavalrymen, and everyone wheeled around and galloped up this road as the Federals chased the Confederates toward Sugarloaf Mountain. Believing that they had at last cleared the town of their opponents, Union cavalry returned and rode past here south of Barnesville. That evening, however, the Confederates briefly occupied the town again but retired the next morning to Sugarloaf Mountain, which
The next day, Union infantry arrived at Barnesville in the evening. Gen. William B. Franklinís VI Corps of the Army of the Potomac camped just south of town.
Like Poolesville, Barnesville was a hotbed of Southern sympathizers. At least five local residents are known to have “gone South” (joined the Confederate forces). Prominent citizen Leonard Hays, whose son served in the 35th Virginia Cavalry, hosted J.E.B. Stuartís brigade commanders, Col. Thomas Munford, Gen. Wade Hampton, and Gen. Fitzhugh Lee, for dinner on September 5.
Erected by Maryland Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 13.268′ N, 77° 22.856′ W. Marker is in Barnsville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Barnesvile Road and West Harris Road, on the left when traveling west on Barnesvile Road. Click for map. Located in the parking lot for the St. Maryís Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18230 Barnesville Road, Barnesville MD 20838, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Barnesville (here, next to this marker); Barnesvile Station (approx. 0.8 miles away); Historic Site [ B&O RR station] (approx. 2.2 miles away); Sugarloaf Mountain (approx. 2.2 miles away); Sugar Loaf Mountain (approx. 2.2 miles away); Chesapeake and Ohio Aqueduct (approx. 2.5 miles away); Mt. Ephraim Crossroads (approx. 2.5 miles away); 1862 Antietam Campaign (approx. 2.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Barnsville.
More about this marker. The marker displays a drawing of the Leonard Hayes House and a map showing the movement of forces in the Antietam Campaign.
Additional keywords. Antietam Campaign
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,739 times since then and 104 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.