Little River in Horry County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Rebecca Randall Bryan
Location. 33° 52.602′ N, 78° 36.84′ W. Marker is in Little River, South Carolina, in Horry County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 17 and Mineola Avenue (Local Road 50), on the right when traveling south Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Little River SC 29566, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Boundary House (approx. 1.2 miles away); South Carolina / North Carolina (approx. 1.8 miles away in North Carolina); North Carolina / South Carolina (approx. 1.8 miles away in North Carolina); First Post Road (approx. 1.8 miles away in North Carolina); George Whitefield (approx. 2.4 miles away but has been reported missing); a different marker also named Boundary House (approx. 2.6 miles away in North Carolina); Fort Randall (approx. 3.2 miles away); Sonnyís Pavilion (approx. 3.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Little River.
Also see . . . Little River United Methodist Church History. “Little River Methodist Church started as a mission in 1876, and became a Methodist church in 1885. It was a circuit church, one where the pastor served other churches on the same charge. The charge lines changed several times over the years. This continued until 1985 when Rev. Frank Hartsell became pastor and served the three churches remaining in the Little River Charge (Little River, Wampee, and Ebenezer) every Sunday for one more year.
“Our church site here was first a Baptist Church granted to the Baptist Trustees by
In 1968, the churchís name changed from Little River Methodist Church to Little River United Methodist Church as a result of the Methodist Church merging with the Evangelical United Brethren Church.
“In June 1986, Wampee and Ebenezer were removed from the Little River Charge, and Little River United Methodist Church became a station church, self-supporting with a full time pastor.” (Submitted on March 7, 2009.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,259 times since then and 95 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the little white wooden church that was moved • Can you help?