Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Sunnyside in Hunterdon County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Echo Hill

 
 
Echo Hill Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Alan Edelson, March 6, 2009
1. Echo Hill Marker
Inscription. Established as a summer camp in 1936 by Robert and Hermia Lechner. Site developed through federal government's Works Progress Administration (WPA) and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) programs.
 
Erected by Hunterdon County Cultural and Heritage Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps, the New Jersey, Hunterdon County Cultural and Heritage Commission, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
 
Location. 40° 34.784′ N, 74° 52.008′ W. Marker is near Sunnyside, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker can be reached from Lilac Drive. Click for map. Marker is inside the park. Marker is in this post office area: Flemington NJ 08822, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rowland's Mill (approx. 0.9 miles away); Clinton Township 9-11 Memorial (approx. one mile away); Agricultural First (approx. 1.5 miles away); Stanton Reformed Church (approx. 1.5 miles away); Smokehouse (approx. 1.8 miles away); Packers Island (approx. 1.8 miles away); Capt. Jacob Gearhart (approx. 1.9 miles away); Cherryville (approx. 2.3 miles away).
 
Regarding Echo Hill. Echo Hill was originally a farm
Echo Hill Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Alan Edelson, March 6, 2009
2. Echo Hill Marker
that was established in 1836. The farm consisted of the stone house, a barn, chicken coops, and a peach orchard. In 1936, the property was purchased by Robert and Hermia Lechner who established a summer camp for boys. They called their facility “Camp - Echo Hill”. The first camp consisted of 65 boys. The camp was expanded the following year to permit girls. During the transition from farm to summer camp, many of the existing structures were demolished or converted to new uses. Salvaged beams from the barn were used in the dining hall (what is now the Main Lodge). The orchard was cut down and replaced by 200,000 evergreens by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1939. In 1943, the Lechners acquired the Stanton Station Railroad Station from the Lehigh Valley Railroad for $75.00. This structure was transported to the property the same year and converted into what is now known as the South Activity Center.

The Stone Farm House was originally the camp infirmary and then became the home for the Lechners in 1942. They retired from the camp in 1959 and sold the operation to a local church. The county acquired the property in 1973. Today, Echo Hill still continues its tradition of teaching local children about nature through the Summer Nature Program and other scheduled or requested programs.
Source: Hunterdon County Department of Parks and Recreation
 
Categories. 20th CenturyCharity & Public Work
 
Entrance to Echo Hill from Lilac Drive Photo, Click for full size
By Alan Edelson, March 6, 2009
3. Entrance to Echo Hill from Lilac Drive
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,142 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement