Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Segeantsville in Hunterdon County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Green Sergeant's Bridge

 
 
Green Sergeant's Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Alan Edelson, March 6, 2009
1. Green Sergeant's Bridge Marker
Inscription. This is the last public covered bridge in New Jersey. It was erected in 1872 on abutments dating back to colonial times. Damaged in 1960, the superstructure of this bridge was completely dismantled and removed to make way for a conventional span. However, in 1961, as a result of the efforts of an aroused group of citizens, the State of New Jersey, using the materials of the original covered bridge, fully restored this link with the past.
 
Erected 1962 by Green Sergeant's Covered Bridge Association.
 
Location. 40° 26.633′ N, 74° 57.975′ W. Marker is in Segeantsville, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker is at the intersection of Rosemont - Sergeantsville Road and Upper Creek Road, on the right when traveling east on Rosemont - Sergeantsville Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stockton NJ 08559, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Delaware Township Veterans (approx. 1.2 miles away); Delaware Twp. Hall (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Velodrome (approx. 1.4 miles away); Sergeantsville First Brethren Church (approx. 1.4 miles
Green Sergeant's Bridge image. Click for full size.
By Alan Edelson, March 6, 2009
2. Green Sergeant's Bridge
away); Rosemont Water Co. (approx. 1.5 miles away); Sandy Ridge Baptist Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Rosemont (approx. 1.6 miles away); Rosemont Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away).
 
Regarding Green Sergeant's Bridge. The bridge spans Wickecheoke Creek, a tributary of the Delaware River. The bridge, as well as a mill and local school of yesterday, was named after Green Sergeant who resided nearby.

Although the masonry abutments were built in 1750, the Green Sergeants Bridge was built in 1872 in accordance with the County Freeholders’ motion adopted September 16, 1872. Charles O. Holcombe was the designer and chief carpenter. He used a modified Queen Post truss construction.
 
Also see . . .  Green Sergeant's Covered Bridge. (Submitted on March 11, 2009.)
 
Categories. Bridges & ViaductsColonial Era
 
Green Sergeant's Bridge image. Click for full size.
By Alan Edelson, March 6, 2009
3. Green Sergeant's Bridge
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 788 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement