Comus in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Mt. Ephraim Crossroads
Sharpshooters Hold the Line
—Antietam Campaign 1862 —
Early on the morning of September 11, the Confederates slipped away after brief exchanges of gunfire, also abandoning a signal station atop the mountain. As the Army of Northern Virginia was marching northwest out of Frederick, the action at Sugarloaf Mountain proved to be a successful rear guard action.
The Comus Inn was the Benjamin Johnson family farm at the time of the Civil War, and the crossroads was known as Mt. Ephraim. The family’s log cabin was added to in the 1890s. The name Comus (Roman god of revelry and son of Bacchus) was not used until a post office was established here in 1930. In the 1930s, President Franklin
Erected by Maryland Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 14.886′ N, 77° 21.01′ W. Marker is in Comus, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Hundred Road (Maryland Route 109) and Comus Road (Maryland Route 95), on the right when traveling south on Old Hundred Road. Click for map. Located in the rear of a parking lot for the Comus Inn. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23900 Old Hundred Road, Dickerson MD 20842, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 1862 Antietam Campaign (a few steps from this marker); Sugarloaf Mountain (approx. 2.3 miles away); Sugar Loaf Mountain (approx. 2.4 miles away); Barnesville (approx. 2.5 miles away); a different marker also named Barnesville (approx. 2.5 miles away); Women on the Homefront in Montgomery County (approx. 2.8 miles away); Hyattstown (approx. 2.9 miles away); Hyattstown Mill (approx. 3 miles away).
More about this marker.
Also see . . . History of the Comus Inn. (Submitted on July 14, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Additional keywords. Antietam Campaign
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,529 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.