Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Federal Troops Occupy Marietta, 1864.
Pursuit followed; two divs. of Logan’s 15th A.C. [US] (Osterhaus & Harrow) were sent via Burnt Hickory & Dallas rds. to occupy Marietta.
Being replaced, they marched, 9 A.M. July 4, via Powder Springs Rd. & the Cheney house to the lower Sandtown Rd. where they joined the rest of McPherson’s Army of the Tennessee [US].
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-54.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 57.14′ N, 84° 34.655′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is at the intersection of Whitlock Avenue SW (Georgia Route 120) and Burnt Hickory Road NW, on the right when traveling west on Whitlock Avenue SW. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta GA 30064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kennesaw Spur (approx. 1.1 miles away); Assault on Pigeon Hill (approx. 1.2 miles away); Kennesaw Battlefield (approx. 1.2 miles away); Logan’s 15th A.C. Line (approx. 1.3 miles away); Interlocking Defenses (approx. 1.3 miles away); Cherokee Indian Trail Tree (approx. 1.3 miles away); "Oakton" (approx. 1.4 miles away); Texas Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Marietta.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 784 times since then and 83 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?