Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Palmyra in Fluvanna County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The “Regular” Methodist Conference

 
 
The “Regular” Methodist Conference Marker Photo, Click for full size
By J. J. Prats, March 8, 2009
1. The “Regular” Methodist Conference Marker
This side faces Route 15
Inscription. Close by, May 18, 1779, “at Roger Thompson’s, near the Broken-Back Church,” began the “Regular” Methodist Conference composed of some of the most devoted and successful Methodist preachers, a large majority of the whole. Assent was given to the insistent demand for the holy sacraments from those through whom thousands had been converted. A presbytery was appointed, preachers were ordained. After one year, for the sake of peace, they were desisted and appealed to Wesley. Led by the Holy Spirit, he acted; and in 1784, “The Methodist Episcopal Church in America” began its world-wide work.

“What preachers do approve this step?” “Isham Tatum, Charles Hopkins, Nelson Reed, Reuben Ellis, Philip Gatch, Thomas Morris, James Morris, James Foster, John Major, Andrew Yeargin, Henry Willis, Francis Poythress, John Sagman, Leroy Cole, Carter Cole, Carter Cole, James O’Kelly, William Moore, Samuel Roe.”
 
Erected 1927 by the Charlottesville District, Virginia Conference, Methodist Episcopal Church South.
 
Location. 37° 53.442′ N, 78° 15.743′ W. Marker is near Palmyra, Virginia, in Fluvanna County. Marker is at the intersection of James Madison Highway (U.S.
The “Regular” Methodist Conference Marker Photo, Click for full size
By J. J. Prats, March 8, 2009
2. The “Regular” Methodist Conference Marker
This side faces Friendship Road.
15) and Friendship Road (County Route 644), on the right when traveling south on James Madison Highway. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Palmyra VA 22963, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fluvanna County Courthouse (approx. 2.1 miles away); Fluvanna County Confederate Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); “Texas Jack” Omohundro Birthplace (approx. 2.7 miles away); S. C. Abrams High School (approx. 4.3 miles away); John Jasper (approx. 5.6 miles away); Louisa County / Fluvanna County (approx. 5.9 miles away); a different marker also named Louisa County / Fluvanna County (approx. 6 miles away); Flora Molton (approx. 6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Palmyra.
 
Also see . . .  The Formation of Fluvana County. Article in the Bulletin of the Fluvanna County Historical Society, No. 22, April 1976. Page 21. “[During the Revolution] there were those who felt a need to change their church loyalties. Roger and George Thompson, justices, were Methodist leaders as well as vestrymen. They worshipped at Broken Back Church and were instrumental in building the second church. (Broken Back Church stood on George Thompson’s Broken Island Plantation.) Though still a movement within the Church of England, those who followed Wesley were sympathetic
The “Regular” Methodist Conference Marker Photo, Click for full size
By J. J. Prats, March 8, 2009
3. The “Regular” Methodist Conference Marker
View south. Route 15 on the left, Friendship Road on the right.
to the rebel cause and soon took steps to separate themselves from the Church and form a new denomination. As the Revolution progressed, no more ministers came from England; many returned there, and the Anglican leader of the Methodists, an Englishman named Asbury, went ‘into hiding’ in New Jersey. Because there were so few Established Church ministers, and because the Methodist circuit-riding ministers were not allowed to give the sacraments, the Methodists decided to take drastic action. At the famous Broken Back Methodist Regular Conference held at Roger Thompson’s home in Fluvanna in 1779, the Methodist ministers formed a vestry and ordained themselves so they could administer the sacraments. This action led to the formation of the Methodists as a separate denomination.” (Submitted on March 10, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 999 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement