Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Old Ohio Union

 
 
Old Ohio Union Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 31, 2008
1. Old Ohio Union Marker
Inscription. Built in 1910, the old Ohio Union was the first student union building constructed on a public university campus and the fourth to be built in the United States. Made possible by a direct appropriation from the 77th Ohio General Assembly and private funds raised by students, the building officially opened on January 11, 1911 with considerable fanfare. By erecting a student union building, the university gave official sanction to extracurricular activities. Although there have been seven additions, this Jacobethan Revival style building retains its original exterior form and character. The “Old Ohio Union” was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
 
Erected 2002 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Ohio State University, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 38-25.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 59.816′ N, 83° 0.679′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on 12th Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at the east end of Enarson Hall on the Ohio State University campus.
Cornerstone of the Old Ohio Union (Enarson Hall) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 31, 2008
2. Cornerstone of the Old Ohio Union (Enarson Hall)
Marker is at or near this postal address: 154 W. 12th Avenue, Columbus OH 43210, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Underground Railroad on University Land (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Underground Railroad on University Land (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Browning Amphitheatre / The Outdoor Performance Center (about 700 feet away); The Ohio State University (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Underground Railroad on University Land (approx. 0.2 miles away); Neil Avenue Gate (approx. 0.2 miles away); University Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wilbur H. Siebert Collection (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
 
Also see . . .  Ohio State website. (Submitted on March 15, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. 20th CenturyEducationGovernmentNotable Buildings
 
Old Ohio Union (Enarson Hall) and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 31, 2008
3. Old Ohio Union (Enarson Hall) and Marker
Marker is between streetlamp and bicycle rack.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 810 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement