Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Ohio State University

 
 
The Ohio State University Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., December 31, 2008
1. The Ohio State University Marker
Inscription. The Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College grew out of the Cannon Act of March 22, 1870. “But let it be started,” Governor Rutherford B. Hayes told the Legislature in 1873, “with the intention of making it a great State University.” The little college opened September 17, 1873 with a faculty of seven and twenty-four students. One academic building at first housed everything. The campus, remote from the city, was surrounded by some of the original forest. In May, 1878 the name was changed to The Ohio State University.
It was after 1900 before it really began to realize its educational potential, and its major growth occurred after World War II. By 1970, the Centennial Year, the university had more then met the hopes of its founders. A leading university with great manpower and physical resources, it had earned high standing in many fields covering a wide range of educational and research activities.
 
Erected 1970 by The Ohio State University and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 5-25.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 59.888′ N, 83° 0.821′ W. Marker is
The Ohio State University Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., December 31, 2008
2. The Ohio State University Marker
in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Click for map. Marker is on The Ohio State University campus, near the east end of Mirror Lake, about fifty feet north of the Browning Amphitheatre. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43210, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Browning Amphitheatre / The Outdoor Performance Center (within shouting distance of this marker); The Underground Railroad on University Land (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Underground Railroad on University Land (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Ohio Union (approx. 0.2 miles away); University Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Neil Avenue Gate (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Underground Railroad on University Land (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wilbur H. Siebert Collection (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
 
Also see . . .  The Ohio State University website. (Submitted on March 15, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
 
Categories. AgricultureEducationRoads & Vehicles
 
The Ohio State University Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., December 31, 2008
3. The Ohio State University Marker
Looking west from the marker across Mirror Lake toward Pomerene Hall (left) and Campbell Hall (opposite side of lake).
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 751 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement