Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lincoln in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

McTyeire Memorial Church

 
 
McTyeire Memorial Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 6, 2009
1. McTyeire Memorial Church Marker
Inscription. (Named in 1891 by first pastor, Rev. H.M. McKnight, in honor of Bishop Holland McTyeire, founder of Vanderbilt University.)

The Lincoln Methodist Episcopal Church South was organized in February 1889 with 22 members. Ground was broken for the church building in June of 1890 on land donated by the Heryford family. The cornerstone was laid September 9, 1890 - 92 members by that date.

The church building was dedicated June 21, 1891. The origin of the unique stained glass windows is unknown; they were paid for by Peter Ahart. The original trustees were Charles Beermann, John Howard, Verne Burdick, William Dipple, and Peter Ahart. In its first 80 years this church had 48 pastors.

The original elaborate steeple, blown down twice by heavy winds, was reduced in height by half in the early 1900's.

Marker provided by Silver Star Parlor #63 Native Sons of the Golden West and Placer Parlor #138 Native Daughters of the Golden West Lincoln, California, September 9, 2000
 
Erected 2000 by Native Sons and Daughters of the Golden West.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 38° 53.591′ N, 121° 17.706′ 
McTyeire Memorial Church in Lincoln (Constructed 1890-91) image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 6, 2009
2. McTyeire Memorial Church in Lincoln (Constructed 1890-91)
W. Marker is in Lincoln, California, in Placer County. Marker is at the intersection of 6th Street and I Street, on the right when traveling west on 6th Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lincoln CA 95648, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Emmada Building (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Butterfield/Jansen Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fleming Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); I O O F Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); New Hoppert Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Beerman Plaza (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Clay Pipe Plant in the West (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lincoln World War II Memorial (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Lincoln.
 
More about this marker. Marker is on the brick wall to the right of the front steps.
 
Regarding McTyeire Memorial Church. This church is now the oldest church in Lincoln. It was constructed in the gothic revival style and is known for its unique historical stained glass windows surrounding the sanctuary interior. The windows display colorful symbolism and inscriptions dedicated to pioneer ministers, circuit riders, and others who contributed to the pioneer days of the Methodist Church in California. There are 37 stained glass windows in the main building.
McTyeire Memorial Church - Stained Glass Window image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 6, 2009
3. McTyeire Memorial Church - Stained Glass Window
This stained glass window located at the front of the church is dedicated to Clara "Anna" Christman. This is one of the round windows in the gables honoring women commissioned by the Women's Board of Foreign Missions of the Methodist Church, South. Clara Christman perished in the Johnstown Flood in Pennsylvania en route to her assignment in Brazil. She may be one of the first three women to die while under assignment.
Twenty four interior windows mounted on folding doors contain a Christian symbol in a medallion and a memorial panel near the bottom. Each window memorializes a Southern Methodist circuit rider that served in California.

The panels frequently report their dying words - a common Victorian tradition. Some record interesting deaths such as, Solomon Davies who was "killed by a locomotive"; George Wood who "died in his buggy on the way of duty"; and Philip Tuggle who "went from San Francisco to Heaven in 1886."
 
Also see . . .  Feats of Clay magazine has a great Walking Tour. El Dorado Hills Telegraph's (5/21/08) walking tour of various historic spots in Lincoln, including the McTyeire Memorial Church. (Submitted on March 12, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Interior of the McTyeire Memorial Church image. Click for full size.
March 11, 2011
4. Interior of the McTyeire Memorial Church
The church was decorated for a wedding to be held the following day.
Interior Stained Glass Windows - East Side of Sanctuary image. Click for full size.
March 11, 2011
5. Interior Stained Glass Windows - East Side of Sanctuary
Each window commemorates a California pioneer Methodist Minister or circuit rider
Stained Glass Windows - West Side of Sanctuary image. Click for full size.
March 11, 2011
6. Stained Glass Windows - West Side of Sanctuary
Interior Stained Glass Window image. Click for full size.
March 11, 2011
7. Interior Stained Glass Window
This example of an interior stained glass window memorializes the Rev. Drury K. Bond:

Rev. Drury K. Bond
Born in Tenn. Dec. 21st 1823
Died in Cal. Sept. 12th 1861
Saying "Don't Give Up"


Rev. Bond came to California during the Gold Rush. While here he joined the Methodist Church and eventually became a Minister. He was assigned to Yankee Jim's Circuit. He had failing health having been suffering from "consumption" and later went to Grass Valley where he eventually died.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,010 times since then and 91 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.   4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on . • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement