Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The U. S. Army established McPherson Barracks at a site appositely three miles n. of here in l867, but abandoned it in 1881. In 1885, the army bought 236 a. along the Georgia Central R. R. and began erecting a permanent post under the direction of engineer Capt. Joshua West Jacobs. It was officially named “Fort McPherson” on May 4. 1889, indicating a permanent Army Installation. The original garrison quadrangle of 42 buildings, built between 1889 and 1910, is listed on the National Register.
Fort McPherson has served as a general hospital command, war prison barracks, supply depot, and reception and separation center, and has been the home of major Army combat commands including Third U. S. Army and U. S. Army Forces command.
Erected 1987 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 060-172.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 42.77′ Click for map. The marker is located on Fort McPherson, a restricted military installation. Visitors are required to register before entry, and photography is not permitted without prior permission. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30310, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Utoy Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Original Gas Street Light (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Wren’s Nest (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Exterior Line (approx. 1.8 miles away but has been reported missing); Confederate Entrenchments: 1864 (approx. 2.1 miles away); East Point (approx. 2.4 miles away); Clayton's Div., Lee's A.C. (approx. 2.5 miles away but has been reported missing); a different marker also named Clayton’s Div., Lee’s A.C. (approx. 2.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Atlanta.
Also see . . . History of Fort McPherson. (Submitted on March 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Military • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,440 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3. submitted on . • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.