Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Confederate Cemetery

 
 
Confederate Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 3, 2007
1. Confederate Cemetery Marker
Inscription. 3,000 Confederate dead from every southern state are buried in this cemetery. First established for [CS] soldiers killed in a railroad collision in 1863, it became the resting place for dead from nearby battlefields. In 1866, under the direction of Miss Mary J. Green and Mrs. Charles J. Williams of the Ga. Mem. Assn., bodies were moved here from the Chickamauga area. Land for the cemetery was given by Mrs. Jane Glover, Ann Moyer and other citizens of Marietta. A cannon, which served Ga. Military Inst. from 1852 to 1864, was used by the Confederate army, captured by Sherman’s forces, held as a trophy of war until 1910, and then placed in this cemetery.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-106.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 56.75′ N, 84° 32.936′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker can be reached from West Atlanta Street SE 0.1 miles north of Cemetery Street SE. Click for map. Marker is located in the north section of the Old Marietta City Cemetery. While the graves and monument are visible from Powder Springs Road (GA Highway 360), access is only
Confederate Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon Fletcher, October 11, 2008
2. Confederate Cemetery Marker
from West Atlanta Street. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta GA 30060, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. U.D.C. Confederate Soldiers Monument (here, next to this marker); S. V. Sanford (within shouting distance of this marker); Slave Lot (within shouting distance of this marker); This Little Cannon (within shouting distance of this marker); Rest well, Miss Mattie (within shouting distance of this marker); William Root (within shouting distance of this marker); Founder's Lot William Harris (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Joseph Emerson Brown Park (about 400 feet away but has been reported missing). Click for a list of all markers in Marietta.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesWar, US Civil
 
Confederate Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, December 25, 2008
3. Confederate Cemetery
The cannon mentioned on the marker is barely visible to the right of the tall monument in the center. (Click on the photo to enlarge it.)
Six Pounder Bronze Howitzer image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 21, 2012
4. Six Pounder Bronze Howitzer
The Confederate cannon, captured during the Civil War and returned to the cemetery in 1910, described by the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,083 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on , by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee.   3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement