Fort Meade in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Major General George G. Meade
Fort George G. Meade - United States Army
Upon graduation, Meade was commissioned a Second Lieutenant and saw service in the Seminole and Mexican Wars. He was honored for bravery at the Battles of Monerey, Palo Alto, and Resca de la Palma. Promoted to First Lieutenant in 1857, he supervised the construction of lighthouses along the Atlantic coast.
At the outbreak of the Civil War, Meade was appointed a Brigadier General of Volunteers and given command of a brigade. Severely wounded in the Peninsular Campaign, he recovered to fight at 2nd Bull Run, South Mountain and Antietam. He was promoted to Major General in November 1862 and commanded a Union corps at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. In July 1863, he led the Army of the Potomac to a decisive victory over Leeís Army of Northern Virginia. For the remainder of the war, Meade and General Grant traveled together.
After the war, Major General Meade commanded several military departments, includingthe Department of the South. In the fall of 1872, while still on active duty, he contracted pneumonia. On November 6, 1872 the “Hero
In 1917 the village of Admiral, Maryland and surrounding land was acquired for a military cantonment and named Camp Meade. In 1928, Camp Meade was made a permanent installation and the campís name was changed to Fort Leonard Wood because there already existed a Camp Meade in South Dakota. Many Pennsylvania citizens, who considered General Meade a native son, protested the change in names. Therefore, a Pennsylvania Congressman attached a rider to the Defense Appropriation Bill of 1929, officially changing the postís name to Fort George Meade.
Erected 1997 by Fort George G. Meade Museum.
Location. 39° 6.061′ N, 76° 44.34′ W. Marker is in Fort Meade, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on English Avenue 0.2 miles south of Mapes Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is between Mapes Road and Upton Avenue, on the lawn north of the Constitution Park turn out, the future site of the planned "Centenniel Park". Marker is in this post office area: Fort George G Meade MD 20755, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 18th Century French Mortar (within shouting distance of this marker); White Oak (within shouting distance of this marker); Maj. Gen. Ralph H. Van Deman (approx. 0.2 miles away); 29th Infantry Division, United States Army (approx. ľ mile away); Hodges Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Battle of the Bulge (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dedicated to all American Ex-Prisoners of War (approx. 0.3 miles away); Post Hospital (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Meade.
More about this marker. Drivers without military identification are presently required to obtain a visitor's pass and instructions at the main gate and before proceeding onto the post.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Meade Museum. (Submitted on March 14, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. George G. Meade. (Submitted on March 14, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Categories. • Military • War, US Civil • War, World I •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,757 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4, 5. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.