Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Wayne in Allen County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Early Effort To Build A Park

 
 
Early Effort To Build A Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 30, 2008
1. Early Effort To Build A Park Marker
Inscription. Around the turn of the century, the nationwide “City Beautiful” movement found local expression through the efforts of Charles Mulford Robinson and nationallly known landscape architect George Kessler. Seeking to reclaim the natural beauty of our rivers, Mr. Kessler incorporated them into a sweeping plan of riverside drives and parks that would bring the Indiana landscape into the heart of the city. Proposed in a report presented to the City's Park Board just days before the devastating flood of 1913, the plan was permanently delayed by the advent of World War I. Despite the lesson of the 1913 flood, no further efforts at natural reclamation of this site were seen until 1929. In that year, Robert B. Hanna, acting as a consultant to the City Plan Commission, published a vision for “A Great River Park.” This park would extend, in his words, “up and down the St. Joseph, St. Mary's, and Maumee Rivers, for many miles within and beyond the city, including the development...of the region about the confluence of the rivers and known in history as the ‘Gateway to the West.’” Central to his vision was the scenic landscaping of the site on which we stand. Eighty years previously this land had been owned by his grandfather, Samuel Hanna; seventy years later, his dream would be realized by the generation of his
Great Meadow in Headwaters Park image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 30, 2008
2. Great Meadow in Headwaters Park
Several markers along path circling the Great Meadow, looking north with Clinton Street on the extreme left and the Hamilton Women Plaza on extreme distant right of photo. Fountain Plaza area is in right foreground.
grandsons.
 
Erected by City of Fort Wayne and The Shoaff Family.
 
Location. 41° 5.137′ N, 85° 8.352′ W. Marker is in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in Allen County. Click for map. Marker is one of a series that ring the Great Meadow in Headwaters Park. This marker is about 100 feet east of Clinton Street and about 200 feet NNW of the Fountain Plaza. Marker is at or near this postal address: 333 S. Clinton Street, Fort Wayne IN 46802, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Headwaters Park (within shouting distance of this marker); The Floods (within shouting distance of this marker); First Americans (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fur Traders and the Military at Fort Wayne (within shouting distance of this marker); Miami Legend of the Sandhill Crane (within shouting distance of this marker); League Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Little Turtle (about 300 feet away); The Wabash & Erie Canal (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Wayne.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyCharity & Public WorkEnvironmentNatural FeaturesNotable PersonsWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,385 times since then and 113 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement