Colonial Heights, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Guardian of the Appomattox
In May and June 1864, Fort Clifton withstood five separate Union sorties up the Appomattox River. The most serious attack came on May 9, during the Bermuda Hundred campaign, when army gunboats commanded by Gen. Charles K. Graham bombarded the fort while Federal forces probed Confederate defenses on both sides of the river. During this engagement, the gunboat Samuel L. Brewster was disabled by Confederate fire and scuttled by her crew.
By early 1865, a Confederate artilleryman described the Clifton garrison as “ragged, barefooted, and even bareheaded,” whose sparse diet consisted of worm-eaten peas, rancid
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Location. 37° 16.838′ N, 77° 22.041′ W. Marker is in Colonial Heights, Virginia. Marker is on Brockwell Lane 0.3 miles east of Conduit Road, in the median. Click for map. This marker is in the parking lot of Berberich Park at the end of Brockwell Lane, behind Tussing Elementary School. Marker is in this post office area: Colonial Heights VA 23834, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Fort Clifton (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Fort Clifton (approx. ľ mile away); Confederate Fortification (approx. half a mile away); Ellerslie (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker Ellerslie (approx. 2.1 miles away); Dunlop Station (approx. 2.3 miles away); Dunlop's Station (approx. 2.3 miles away); Dictator (approx. 2.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Colonial Heights.
More about this marker. On the lower left is “William Waudís sketch of Grahamís attack on Fort Clifton, drawn from observation tower.” Courtesy Library of Congress
In the center is a sketch captioned, "Combat artist William Waud sketched Federal batteries bombarding Fort Clifton. The Clifton House, from which the fort took its name, is clearly identified. Harperís Weekly, July 23, 1864."
On the upper right is a photo of “Gen. Charles K. Graham” Courtesy Library of Congress
Also see . . .
1. City of Colonial Heights. History of Fort Clifton. (Submitted on March 16, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Civil War Traveler. Colonial Heights. (Submitted on March 16, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,872 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.