Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Colonial Heights, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Confederate Fortification

 
 
Confederate Fortification Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, March 15, 2009
1. Confederate Fortification Marker
Inscription. This Fortification was part of a line of Confederate earthworks that guarded Swift Creek and the western approaches to Fort Clifton on the Appomattox River. It was probably constructed in response to Federal threats during Butlerís Bermuda Hundred campaign in May-June 1864. Archeological evidence indicates that this fortification was defended by field artillery, supported by infantry sharpshooters drawn from the garrison of nearby Fort Clifton. The defenders of Fort Clifton included Confederate infantry and artillery units from Virginia, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and North Carolina.

This position was shelled by Federal field artillery (3” rifles) positioned on Spring Hill during the summer of 1864.

Adam Wood
Troop 180
Eagle Scout Project
2003
 
Erected 2003 by Boy Scouts of America, Troop 180.
 
Location. 37° 16.88′ N, 77° 22.58′ W. Marker is in Colonial Heights, Virginia. Marker is on Conjurers Drive 0.1 miles west of Red Fox Road, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Colonial Heights VA 23834, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Clifton (approx. ľ mile away); a different marker
Western Defensive Line of Fort Clifton Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, March 15, 2009
2. Western Defensive Line of Fort Clifton
also named Fort Clifton (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Fort Clifton (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ellerslie (approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named Ellerslie (approx. 1.7 miles away); Dunlop's Station (approx. 1.8 miles away); Dunlop Station (approx. 1.8 miles away); Swift Creek Battlefield: A Landscape of Change (approx. 2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Colonial Heights.
 
Also see . . .  City of Colonial Heights. History of Fort Clifton. (Submitted on March 16, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Confederate Battery Civil War Site Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, March 15, 2009
3. Confederate Battery Civil War Site
Interior of site. Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, March 15, 2009
4. Interior of site.
Facing north toward Swift Creek Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, March 15, 2009
5. Facing north toward Swift Creek
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,372 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement