Fort Meade in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
29th Infantry Division, United States Army
World War II
[Insignia and motto of the 29th ID]: "29 Let's Go!"
Mobilized at Fort George G. Meade, February 1941; comprised of Army National Guard units from Maryland, Virginia, District of Columbia, and Pennsylvania. Trained vigorously at Fort Meade, at A.P. Hill Military Reservation, Virginia and during the Carolina maneuvers, 1941-1942.
Sailed from New York for England, September-October, 1942. Trained extensively for the cross channel attack on the German-occupied coast of Europe.
On D-Day, 6 June 1944, in the great allied amphibious assault, the division stormed ashore on Omaha Beach in Normandy to win a beachhead and to achieve undying fame.
Eleven months of campaigns and battles followed: Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, and Central Europe.
During combat the division suffered 19,814 casualties, killed, wounded, and missing.
This memorial commemorates the valor and the sacrifices of the 29th Infantry Division in World War II and the memory of all who served with it.
World War II Campaigns:
Assault Arrowhead - Normandy
French Croix de Guerre with Palm - Omaha Beach
Brig. Gen. Edmund G. Beacham, M.D., President
Memorial Committee: Col. Robert M. Miller, Chairman; Maj. Gen. John Purley Cooper, Jr.; Col. George G. Boram; Maj. Charles A. Lusby, Jr.; Maj. Raymond V. Merkle, Builder.
Erected 1987 by Maryland National Guard Military Historical Society.
Location. 39° 5.938′ N, 76° 44.578′ W. Marker is in Fort Meade, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on Williams Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Memorial is at the entrance to the Fort George G. Meade Museum off Williams Road, on board the Fort Meade Army Base. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4674 Griffin Avenue, Fort George G Meade MD 20755, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Battle of the Bulge (within shouting distance of this marker); Dedicated to all American Ex-Prisoners of War (within shouting distance of this marker); Maj. Gen. Ralph H. Van Deman (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Major General George G. Meade (approx. ¼ mile away); 18th Century French Mortar (approx. ¼ mile away); White Oak (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hodges Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); World War I Cantonment Area (approx. 0.4 miles away but has been reported missing). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Meade.
More about this marker. Drivers without military identification are presently required to obtain a visitor's pass and instructions at the main gate and before proceeding to the museum.
Also see . . .
1. 29th Infantry Division. (Submitted on January 10, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Fort George G. Meade Museum. (Submitted on January 10, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Categories. • Military • War, World II •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,568 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.