Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Williamsburg in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Row Houses

 
 
Row Houses Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, August 14, 2008
1. Row Houses Marker
Inscription. Several Jamestown families lived in row houses. This row of three houses was occupied at least from 1560 through 1720. Elaborate ironwork found here suggested that the row was handsomely furnished. Perhaps the row was home to the government officials and merchants who prospered in the colony’s capital.

A great number of pipestems and wine bottle fragments suggest that in later years, the row might have housed its own tavern, or “ordinary.” A wit of the day recorded “about a dozen families getting their livings by keeping of ordinaries at extraordinary rates.”
 
Erected by Colonial National Historic Park.
 
Location. 37° 12.425′ N, 76° 46.527′ W. Marker is near Williamsburg, Virginia, in James City County. Marker can be reached from Colonial Parkway, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in the "New Towne" section of the Historic Jamestown unit of Colonial National Historic Park. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Jamestown Riverfront 1630-1690 (a few steps from this marker); A Campsite pre-1607 (a few steps from this marker); Fences and Livestock
Marker in Jamestown's New Towne Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, August 14, 2008
2. Marker in Jamestown's New Towne
(within shouting distance of this marker); Ditch and Mound (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson Home 1620s (within shouting distance of this marker); The Ambler House (within shouting distance of this marker); Water and Well (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Efforts of a Virginia Tradesman 1670s (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Williamsburg.
 
More about this marker. The right side of the marker features a picture of what the row houses might have looked like in colonial days. The bottom left of the marker is a layout diagram of the row houses. It has a caption of “The houses were linked along the long side of each house, instead of end-to-end as elsewhere in Jamestown. Each house was about 20 feet wide and 40 feet deep, with separate cellars about four feet deep.”
 
Also see . . .
1. Historic Jamestowne. Colonial National Historic Park from National Park Service website. (Submitted on March 16, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

2. Historic Jamestowne.
Row House Ruins Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, August 14, 2008
3. Row House Ruins
The remains of the row houses can be seen behind the marker.
Historic Jamestowne is the site of the first permanent English settlement in America. The site is jointly administered by APVA Preservation Virginia and the National Park Service. (Submitted on March 16, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. Colonial Era
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 747 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement