Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Chester in Chesterfield County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lee's Headquarters

 
 
Lee's Headquarters Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, March 15, 2009
1. Lee's Headquarters Marker
Inscription. To the east, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee briefly made his headquarters at Clay's house on 17 June 1864. There he received full details of the Union army's attack on Petersburg that began the evening of 15 June 1864. Lee learned that Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant had committed most of the Union Army of the Potomac to assault the Petersburg fortifications commanded by Confederate Gen. P. G. T. Beauregard. After receiving the reports of the Federal assault on Petersburg, Lee realized that Petersburg stood in immediate danger. He left his nearby headquarters early the next morning and went with most of his army to reinforce the garrison at Petersburg.
 
Erected 2002 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number S 38.)
 
Location. 37° 20.841′ N, 77° 24.627′ W. Marker is near Chester, Virginia, in Chesterfield County. Marker is on Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 1) 0.4 miles north of Old Bermuda Hundred Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. This marker is located near the entrance to John Tyler Community College. Marker is in this post office area: Chester VA 23831, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chester Station Fight (approx. 0.4 miles away); Confederate Reconnaissance Mission
Lee's Headquarters Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, March 15, 2009
2. Lee's Headquarters Marker
(approx. 0.8 miles away); The Howlett Line (approx. 0.8 miles away); Battery Dantzler (approx. 0.9 miles away); Battle of Chester Station (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Chester Station (approx. 0.9 miles away); Remembrance (approx. 0.9 miles away); Parkerís Battery (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Chester.
 
Also see . . .  The Pickett Society. Photographs from the Bermuda Hundred Seminar including the Clay House which served as Lee's Headquarters. (Submitted on March 17, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 930 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement