Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jekyll Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Confederate Battery

 
 
Confederate Battery Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, 2009
1. Confederate Battery Marker
Inscription. In 1861, Confederate battery positions on Jekyll Island were equipped with one 42-pounder gun and four 32-pounder navy guns en barbette, each having about 60 rounds of shot and shell. Casemates, hot shot furnace and magazines are recorded, also. Of greater strength than batteries on St. Simons Island, the earthworks of palmetto logs, heavy timber, sandbags, and railroad irons were mounted for the protection of Brunswick.

February 10, 1862, Gen. Robert E. Lee requested permission from Gov. Joseph E. Brown to dismantle the stronghold as "the inhabitants of the island and Brunswick have removed themselves and property" to inland points. Maj. Edward C. Anderson removed the guns, sending them to Savannah.
March 9, 1862, Lt. Miller of the USS Mohican landed a rifle company and marines, hoisting the Union flag over the island.

In January, 1863, to strengthen fortifications at Port Royal, S.C., a Federal force was sent by flatboat to seize the railroad irons. Some of the men who had helped build the defenses guided the detachment to them and "the men enjoyed demolishing them far more than they had relished their construction."
 
Erected 1959 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 063-38.)
 
Marker series. This marker
Confederate Battery Marker looking southward on Riverview Dr Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, March 18, 2009
2. Confederate Battery Marker looking southward on Riverview Dr
is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 31° 4.237′ N, 81° 25.579′ W. Marker is in Jekyll Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Riverview Drive, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located at the south end of Jekyll Island Airport, at a roadside park. Marker is in this post office area: Jekyll Island GA 31527, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Taking Care of Family (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Active Life (approx. 0.7 miles away); Up In Smoke (approx. 0.8 miles away); Evolution of Elegance (approx. 0.8 miles away); Jekyll Island Club Wharf (approx. 0.9 miles away); Men of Means (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Skeet House (approx. 0.9 miles away); First Transcontinental Call (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Jekyll Island.
 
Also see . . .
1. The first USS Mohican. 1862. In company with sloop Pocahontas and schooner Potomska, she took possession of St. Simons Island and Jekyll Island near Brunswick, Georgia on 9 and 10 March, but found them deserted because of a general Confederate withdrawal from the seacoast and coastal islands. (Submitted on March 19, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 

2. Confederate Battery - Jekyll Island, Georgia
Confederate Battery Marker at a small roadside park at island airport Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, March 2009
3. Confederate Battery Marker at a small roadside park at island airport
Note plane visible, background at far right
. Civil War on the Georgia Coast (Submitted on May 9, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Confederate Battery Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Mike Stroud, 2009
4. Confederate Battery Marker
At the southend of island airport, along Jekyll River
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 869 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement