Near Williamsburg in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
A Jamestown Warehouse 1630s-1699
A Perfect Description of Virginia, 1649
Jamestown’s waterfront property was prime real estate. Governor Harvey wrote “that there was not one foote of ground for half a mile together by the Rivers side in James Towne but was taken up and undertaken to be built ….” As the colony’s official port of entry, Jamestown needed warehouses for imported cargoes.
After 1633, when the Virginia General Assembly made Jamestown one of five inspection points for examining and grading tobacco, warehouses also served planters ready to ship their crop to English markets.
Historic records suggest that, around 1638, merchant William Parry built a warehouse on this lot. By the 1660s, John Bland II operated a warehouse at this location.
Erected by Colonial National Historic Park.
Location. 37° 12.474′ N, 76° 46.646′ W. Marker is near Williamsburg, Virginia, in James City County. Marker can be reached from Colonial Parkway, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in the "New Towne" section of the Historic Jamestown unit of Colonial
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonial Highway (within shouting distance of this marker); Backstreet – Jamestown’s Main Street 1620-1699 (within shouting distance of this marker); Interpreting Jamestown (within shouting distance of this marker); The Greate Road – An Early Highway pre-1607-1700s (within shouting distance of this marker); Barracks (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First General Assembly of Virginia (about 300 feet away); The Tombs of James and Sarah Blair (about 300 feet away); Jamestown Tercentenary Monument (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Williamsburg.
More about this marker. The right side of the marker features a picture of a scene of “The Jamestown port in the mid-17th century.” The bottom left of the marker contains a picture of the Parry-Bland warehouse, 1660s. Above this is a photograph of the “Perry-Bland warehouse, excavated ca. 1930s.”
Also see . . .
1. A Jamestown Warehouse 1630s - 1699. Colonial National Historic Park from National Park Service website. (Submitted on March 19, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Historic Jamestowne. Historic Jamestowne is the site of the first permanent English settlement in America. The site is jointly administered by APVA Preservation Virginia and the National Park Service. (Submitted on March 19, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 753 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.