Near Williamsburg in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Governor Harvey’s House 1630s
A temperamental sea captain, Harvey was twice charged for beating others – a servant for demanding his freedom and Richard Stephens, a councilman and frequent Harvey opponent.
When newly knighted Sir John Harvey returned as the new governor of Virginia in 1630, he acquired additional property, the former Governor Sir George Yeardley’s lot across Pitch and Tar Swamp and this prime New Towne lot. Here he built a fine house that often doubled as the statehouse during the 1630s.
Although the crown replaced Harvey as governor in 1639, his house continued in use as a statehouse through the 1640s and 1650s. When Sir William Berkley arrived in 1642, it again doubled as a town residence for the governor. After Bacon’s rebels sacked and burned Jamestown in 1676, the house was rebuilt for a final time.
Erected by Colonial National Historic Park.
Location. 37° 12.546′ N, 76° 46.621′ W. Marker is near Williamsburg, Virginia, in James City County. Marker can be reached from Colonial Parkway Click for map. Marker is in the "New Towne" section of the Historic Jamestown unit of Colonial National Historic Park. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pitch and Tar Swamp (within shouting distance of this marker); Swann’s Tavern 1670s (within shouting distance of this marker); Iron and Industry (within shouting distance of this marker); Foundations at Jamestown (within shouting distance of this marker); A Place of Work (within shouting distance of this marker); Jamestown Tercentenary Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Tradesmen on Governor Harvey’s Lot 1630s (within shouting distance of this marker); Backstreet – Jamestown’s Main Street 1620-1699 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Williamsburg.
More about this marker. The upper right of the marker features a picture of Harvey’s house. The bottom of the marker contains an “Architectural sketch of Harvey house excavation” from the Library of Congress. The left side of the marker contains maps showing the waterfront lot at the east end of New Towne, and the lot acquired by Harvey in 1630 and where he built his house. Above these is a picture of “Decorative plaster excavated at the Harvey house possibly representing a spotted leopard. A spotted leopard head is featured in the Harvey coat-of-arms.”
Also see . . .
1. The Home of Governor Harvey - 1630s. Colonial National Historic Park from National Park Service website. (Submitted on March 20, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Historic Jamestowne. Historic Jamestowne is the site of the first permanent English settlement in America. The site is jointly administered by APVA Preservation Virginia and the National Park Service. (Submitted on March 20, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 803 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.