Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Williamsburg in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Pitch and Tar Swamp

 
 
Pitch and Tar Swamp	 Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, August 14, 2008
1. Pitch and Tar Swamp Marker
Inscription. To the north, Jamestown Island is ringed with slow moving water and a marsh of reeds, cypress, and pine. One of the first industries attempted at Jamestown was the extraction of pitch and tar from the pine trees in this swampy area. Pitch, tar, and the pine trees themselves were used for shipbuilding.
 
Erected by Colonial National Historic Park.
 
Location. 37° 12.559′ N, 76° 46.609′ W. Marker is near Williamsburg, Virginia, in James City County. Marker can be reached from Colonial Parkway, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in the "New Towne" section of the Historic Jamestown unit of Colonial National Historic Park. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Iron and Industry (a few steps from this marker); A Place of Work (a few steps from this marker); Governor Harvey’s House 1630s (within shouting distance of this marker); Tradesmen on Governor Harvey’s Lot 1630s (within shouting distance of this marker); Swann’s Tavern 1670s (within shouting distance of this marker); Foundations at Jamestown (within shouting distance of this marker); Jamestown Tercentenary Monument (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Efforts to Build a Town 1660-1699 (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Williamsburg.
 
Also see . . .
1. Historic Jamestowne. Colonial National Historic Park from National Park Service website. (Submitted on March 20, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

2. Historic Jamestowne. Historic Jamestowne is the site of the first permanent English settlement in America. The site is jointly administered by APVA Preservation Virginia and the National Park Service. (Submitted on March 20, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. Colonial Era
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 774 times since then and 55 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement