Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Coloma in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Bekeartís Gun Shop

 
 
Bekeartís Gun Shop Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Syd Whittle, March 17, 2009
1. Bekeartís Gun Shop Marker
Inscription. Jules Francois Bekeart was a gunsmith who came here in 1849 to mine gold and soon became a close friend of James Marshall. The hard labor of gold mining was not to his liking, so “Frank” Berkeart started a highly successful gunsmith business in a wood-frame and canvas building near this site. This brick building was constructed in 1852 after the wood building burned. It is thought to be Colomaís oldest structure.
 
Erected by Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park.
 
Location. 38° 48.045′ N, 120° 53.483′ W. Marker is in Coloma, California, in El Dorado County. Marker is on Highway 49 (Main Street), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is located within the boundaries of the Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 329 Highway 49 (Main Street), Coloma CA 95613, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Coloma Greys (a few steps from this marker); Wellerís Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Coloma Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Weller House (within shouting distance of
Bekeartís Gun Shop and Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Syd Whittle, March 17, 2009
2. Bekeartís Gun Shop and Marker
this marker); Metropolitan Saloon and Bowling Alley (within shouting distance of this marker); Colomaís Law Offices (within shouting distance of this marker); Minerís Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Wintermantelís Minerís Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Coloma.
 
Also see . . .  Frank Bekeartís Gunsmith Shop. (Submitted on March 20, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable BuildingsNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
Bekeartís Gun Shop Photo, Click for full size
Alma Lavenson Photographer, Owner Bancroft Library, UC Berkeley, circa 1968
3. Bekeartís Gun Shop
Bekeartís Store - Coloma, California Photo, Click for full size
By Merle Porter, Royal Pictures, Colton, California
4. Bekeartís Store - Coloma, California
Description on Postcard:
It was on Jan.24, 1848 that James Marshall, while turning off the water to Sutter's sawmill, happened to notice gold flakes in the mill race. The news leaked out and soon miners swarmed over the countryside. On April 25, 1851 Coloma became the county seat of El Dorado County, only to lose it to Hangtown (Placerville) in 1857. Jules Francios Bedeart,[note misspelling of name] who first came to Coloma on April 10, 1849, built a little brick store. The building bricks came from a yard in Sacramento. Jim Marshall, who was doing odd jobs, made the counters for the Bekeart store...M.P.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,097 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement