Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oroville in Butte County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Oroville Carnegie Library

Built 1912

 
 
Oroville Carnegie Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 6, 2009
1. Oroville Carnegie Library Marker
This marker, as well as the dedication and rededication plaques, are located on the corner of the library, to the left of the front entrance.
Inscription.
has been placed on
National Register
of Historic Places

by the United States
Department of the Interior

In 1911, Andrew Carnegie, Scottish industrialist, businessman, and major philanthropist, endowed upon City of Oroville $10,000 for the construction of a public library building. The building was constructed and the Oroville Public Library was ready for public use in 1912.

Oroville Public Library is one of the thirty-six Temple-Style Classical Revival California Carnegie buildings completed between 1903 and 1918, of which only 18 are standing today. The library was designed by architect William Henry Weeks, who designed twenty-two libraries between 1902 and 1921 (spanning nearly the entire Carnegie Library period).
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Carnegie Libraries marker series.
 
Location. 39° 30.769′ N, 121° 33.532′ W. Marker is in Oroville, California, in Butte County. Marker is at the intersection of Montgomery Street and Oak Street, on the right when traveling east on Montgomery Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1675 Montgomery Street, Oroville CA 95965, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker
Oroville Carnegie Library (Constructed 1912) image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 6, 2009
2. Oroville Carnegie Library (Constructed 1912)
Oroville's first library dates back to 1859, a "ladies" library. After the city received a $10,000 Carnegie grant in 1911, this Classical Revival-style library was built on a site donated by Senator George Perkins.
. Oroville Municipal Airport (within shouting distance of this marker); Butte County Court House at Oroville (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Liberty Pole In The West (about 800 feet away); Liberty Pole (about 800 feet away); Butte County Courthouse Bricks (about 800 feet away); County Community Well (about 800 feet away); First Pharmacy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chinese Temple (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Oroville.
 
Also see . . .
1. Carnegie Libraries of California: Oroville. The Carnegie Libraries of California project's web page, with a descriptive history of the library. (Submitted on March 21, 2009.) 

2. William H. Weeks, Architect Extraordinaire. Robert G. Lemmon Jr.'s biography of architect William H. Weeks (1866-1936). Includes listing of his works, as well as descriptions and photographs. (Submitted on March 21, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, MusicCharity & Public WorkEducation
 
Oroville Carnegie Library Dedication Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 6, 2009
3. Oroville Carnegie Library Dedication Plaque
{Dedication plaque reads:} Oroville Public Library; Established by George C. Perkins, 1903; Carnegie Building erected 1912; First president Mrs. J. F. Gawthorne; Trustees Mrs. T.B. Reardan, Mrs. A.F. Jones, Mrs. J.H.Karsner, Mrs. J.B. Hughes, Mrs. G. W. Braden
Oroville Carnegie Library Rededication Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 6, 2009
4. Oroville Carnegie Library Rededication Plaque
{Rededication plaque reads:} Oroville Public Libary, Erected 1912, Rededicated as Butte County Law Library, 2007; Mayor - Steve Jernigan; City Council Members - Jack Berry, Sue Corkin, Art Hatley, Michael Howard, Jamie Johansson, Jim Prouty; City Administrator - Sharon Atteberry; Project Coordinators - Pat Clark, James Haase; Contractor - Associated Building Contractors
Oroville Carnegie Library image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 6, 2009
5. Oroville Carnegie Library
The building served as the city library from 1912-1974, with the interior restored by the WPA in 1937. In 2007 this building became the Butte County Public Law Library.
Oroville Carnegie Library In Early Spring image. Click for full size.
April 6, 2009
6. Oroville Carnegie Library In Early Spring
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,542 times since then and 120 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.   6. submitted on . • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement