Minneapolis in Hennepin County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Col. John H. Stevens
Died May .28. 1900
First settler in the City of Minneapolis.
Location. 44° 54.836′ N, 93° 12.601′ W. Marker is in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in Hennepin County. Marker can be reached from Minnehaha Avenue south of East Minnehaha Parkway, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in Minnehaha Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4901 South Minnehaha Park Drive/Avenue, Minneapolis MN 55417, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Harrington Stevens House (a few steps from this marker); Gunnar Wennerberg (within shouting distance of this marker); Minnehaha Depot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Washington Bi-Centennial Tree (about 400 feet away but has been reported missing); 3 – Master Map (about 500 feet away); Geology of Minnesota (about 500 feet away); 1–Main Entrance Minnehaha Lower Glen (about 600 feet away); President Lyndon B. Johnson (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Minneapolis.
Also see . . .
1. John H. Stevens. John Harrington Stevens was the first authorized (Submitted on March 21, 2009.)
2. Stevens House. "The John H. Stevens House, built in 1849 near St. Anthony Falls, has the distinction of being the first wood frame dwelling built west of the Mississippi." (Submitted on March 21, 2009.)
3. Start Seeing Art. "This sculpture honors the first settler in the city of Minneapolis, Col. John H. Stevens. It was sculpted by Johannes Sophus Gelert between 1911 and 1912 based on drawings by Jakob Fjelde." (Submitted on March 21, 2009.)
1. Original Location 1912 - 1935
The statue was a gift of Mrs. Phillip B. Winston, daughter of Colonel Stevens. In 1935 the statue was moved from its original location in Stevens Triangle (intersection of Portland Avenue and Grant Street, Minneapolis) at the request of Colonol Stevens' heirs, when construction disrupted the site. Its current location is near the Stevens House in Minnehaha Park.
— Submitted May 2, 2010, by James R. Kuntz of Warrenton, Missouri.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,523 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.