Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sunbury in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Old Sunbury Road

 
 
Old Sunbury Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 12, 2009
1. Old Sunbury Road Marker
Inscription. The bustling seaport of Sunbury was once the largest city of this region of Georgia. Sunbury was the destination for many trading ships loaded with cargo from regions around the world. Rum, sugar, and slaves arrived from the West Indies. Clothes, tea, and iron goods were imported from Great Britain. The most valuable exports from the port of Sunbury were rice and indigo. Merchants and traders used the Old Sunbury Road to carry these goods throughout the coastal region.

Heading west from Sunbury, the road first led to the town of Midway, 10 miles inland. This wagon traffic provided Midway and local farms access to goods from around the world. Sunbury Road was most important before the Revolution, when the town of Sunbury was a busy seaport. By 1786, the town of Sunbury, along with use of the historic road, had begun a slow, long decline.

The Old Sunbury Road Today
During the Colonial Era, the Old Sunbury Road was lined with fields and forests of live oaks. The live oaks provided a shaded canopy which protected travelers from the summer sun. Today much of this [dirt] road is wider, smoother, straighter, and regularly maintained by modern equipment. Rows of planted pine trees have replaced the natural forest. However some portions of the road still possess their
The Old Sunbury Road Marker image. Click for full size.
2. The Old Sunbury Road Marker
( Left Picture)
Old Sunbury Roads runs west to the colonial town of Midway and the turned north. Only sections of the old road remains today.
historic natural vegetation, particularly near the original town of Sunbury.
 
Location. 31° 46.076′ N, 81° 16.915′ W. Marker is in Sunbury, Georgia, in Liberty County. Marker is on Sunbury Road 0.1 miles west of Fort Morris Road, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Midway GA 31320, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sunbury (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sunbury Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Sunbury Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint John's Lodge Number Six (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Dead Town Of Sunbury (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Famous Sunbury "Masonic" Oak (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Morris (approx. half a mile away); Colonel's Island (approx. 4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sunbury.
 
Categories. Notable PlacesRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
The Old Sunbury Road Marker image. Click for full size.
3. The Old Sunbury Road Marker
( Right Picture)
This was a busy, well- developed throughfare in the 1700's, with wagomloads of goods and produce going each way. It's quiet now, but we can still feel the connections to the people who lived and worked here.
The Old Sunbury Road , as seen today, looking westward image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 12, 2009
4. The Old Sunbury Road , as seen today, looking westward
marker as seen at left
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 730 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement