Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Washington in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Bishop James Osgood Andrew

 
 
Bishop James Osgood Andrew Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 28, 2005
1. Bishop James Osgood Andrew Marker
Inscription. James Osgood Andrew was born in Wilkes County, Georgia, on May 5, 1794, about 400 yards N.E. of this marker, the son of Rev. John Andrew and Mary Cosby Andrew. He was licensed to preach in the Ellam Methodist Episcopal Church, Broad River Circuit, Elbert County, in 1812. Recommended by Dr. Lovick Pierce he was received into the South Carolina Annual Conference that year. Elected bishop at the General Conference in Philadelphia in 1832. The deepening problem of slavery involved him when his house servant, Kitty, chose not to be freed, declined to go to Liberia, and remained with the Andrew family. The 1844 General Conference passed the famous "Finley Resolution" asking Bishop Andrew to "desist" from exercising the office of Bishop as long as he was a slaveholder, though an unwilling one. This issue caused the Church to divided and in 1845 the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was organized. Bishop Andrew continued his effective ministry, was first president of the Trustees of Emory College, and, after his death May 1, 1871, in Mobile, Alabama, he was buried in the historic cemetery at Oxford, Georgia
 
Erected 1971 by Commission on Archives and History, The North Georgia Annual Conference.
 
Location. 33° 42.74′ N, 82° 
Bishop James Osgood Andrew Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
2. Bishop James Osgood Andrew Marker
44.773′ W. Marker is in Washington, Georgia, in Wilkes County. Marker is on Andrew Drive (County Route 41) 0.1 miles from Spring Street (Georgia Route 47), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington GA 30673, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Manse (approx. 1.6 miles away); Holly Court (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Holly Court (approx. 1.6 miles away); 1893 Victorian (approx. 1.6 miles away); First Methodist Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Mary Willis Library (approx. 1.7 miles away); Campbell Home (approx. 1.7 miles away); Norris House (approx. 1.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Washington.
 
Categories. African AmericansAntebellum South, USChurches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,158 times since then and 103 times this year. Last updated on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement