Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Buckhead in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Park Home and Site of Park’s Mill

 
 
Park Home and Site of Park’s Mill Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, March 20, 2009
1. Park Home and Site of Park’s Mill Marker
Inscription. This house, built in early 1800 and used as a stagecoach stop, was located on Seven Islands Road which ran from Philadelphia to New Orleans. On Nov. 20, 1864, Federal raiders under Gen. Geary destroyed the nearby mill and ferry. At the request of Mrs. Park, the house and contents were not molested though everything was taken from the yard and smokehouse. A Negro servant, Cyrus Park, by using wet blankets on the roof, saved the house from flying embers from the mill. Pres. Jefferson Davis is said to have spent the night of May 4, 1865 in this house, barely escaping capture by the Federals.
 
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 104-4.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Shermans March to the Sea marker series.
 
Location. 33° 29.393′ N, 83° 17.255′ W. Marker is near Buckhead, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is on Wood Road 0.9 miles east of Woods Road, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1511 Wood Road, Buckhead GA 30625, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Park's Mill (approx. 2.8 miles away); Swords
Park Home and Site of Park’s Mill Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, March 20, 2009
2. Park Home and Site of Park’s Mill Marker
Marker stands in the yard of the Park House.
(approx. 4 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 4.1 miles away); Stagecoach Road (approx. 6.8 miles away); Federal Raid (approx. 6.9 miles away); Rock Eagle Mound (approx. 7 miles away); Georgia 4-H Center (approx. 7 miles away); Buckhead (approx. 7.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Buckhead.
 
Regarding Park Home and Site of Park’s Mill. The mill collapsed before the 1930s. The house was moved to its present location by the Georgia Power Company and extensively remodeled in 1979 when Lake Oconee was created. The original site of the house, approximately 1.5 miles north of the present site, is now under Lake Oconee.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Park Home Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, March 20, 2009
3. Park Home
The house, moved from its original location, has been extensively remodeled and faces away from the road. It is privately owned.
Georgia Power on the Oconee River Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, October 26, 2011
4. Georgia Power on the Oconee River
This interpretive sign, located several miles from the Park (or Parks) home at the Rock Hawk Effigy Mound, contains a period photograph of the Parks Home at its original location.
Photograph of the Parks House Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, October 26, 2011
5. Photograph of the Parks House
A close-up of the photo of the Parks House in its original location, from the Georgia Power interpretive sign.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,025 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement