Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jekyll Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Spanish on Jekyll Island

 
 
The Spanish on Jekyll Island Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 18, 2009
1. The Spanish on Jekyll Island Marker
Inscription. Within sight and sound of St. Simons Island, Jekyll Island was ideal for entertaining Spanish visitors to the settlement at Frederica. Major William Horton, resident of the island, received the guests while Oglethorpe on St. Simons, with cannon booming and his few soldiers appearing and reappearing on the south beach, professed a strength he did not have.
In 1736, Spanish Commissioners Don Pedro Lamberto and Don Manuel d`Arcy, sent by Governor Sanchez of St. Augustine to discuss rival claims to the Georgia coast, were feted on Jekyll. On board the Sloop Hawk in Jekyll Sound, kilted Highlanders from Darien with clanging broadswords, Tomo-Chi-Chi and Hyllispilli with about 30 of their "chiefest" Indians in war paint and regella loudly denounced the Spanish and helped Oglethorpe impress the visitors with strength and good will of the colonists. Agreeing to leave all questions to the courts of Spain and England, the emissaries returned to St. Augustine pleased with their mission. Angered by the decision, Spain recalled and executed Governor Sanchez.

After the Battle of Bloody Marsh, the Spaniards burned the buildings on Jekyll Island.
 
Erected 1959 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 063-35.)
 
Marker series.
The Spanish on Jekyll Island Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 18, 2009
2. The Spanish on Jekyll Island Marker
This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 31° 6.457′ N, 81° 24.762′ W. Marker is in Jekyll Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is at the intersection of Beachview Drive and Clam Creek Road, on the right when traveling west on Beachview Drive. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jekyll Island GA 31527, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Horton House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Horton House Historical Site (approx. 0.4 miles away); Poulain DuBignon and DuBignon Burying Ground (approx. 0.4 miles away); Horton House Historic Site (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tabby (approx. 0.4 miles away); Major William Horton (approx. 0.4 miles away); Le Sieur Christophe Anne Poulain Du Bignon (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Horton House Historic Site (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Jekyll Island.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Battle of Bloody Marsh and Gully Hole Creek
 
Categories. Colonial EraExplorationSettlements & Settlers
 
The Spanish on Jekyll Island Marker, looking west on Beachview Drive at Clam Creek Road image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2009
3. The Spanish on Jekyll Island Marker, looking west on Beachview Drive at Clam Creek Road
Jekyll Island shoreline image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 18, 2009
4. Jekyll Island shoreline
Within sight and sound of St. Simons Island, Jekyll Island was ideal for entertaining Spanish visitors to the settlement at Frederica.
The Spanish on Jekyll Island image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 18, 2009
5. The Spanish on Jekyll Island
Todays view of the sound , near Brunswick
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 741 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement