Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Piqua in Miami County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Village of Huntersville

 
 
The Village of Huntersville Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., March 6, 2009
1. The Village of Huntersville Marker
Inscription. The roots of Huntersville began when John and Elizabeth Hilliard purchased this former Shawnee tribal land in 1797 from Ohio's largest land speculator Judge John Symmes. When Symmes defaulted on his payments, the Hilliards found themselves repurchasing their own land from the federal government. These uncertain land claims defeated their 1799 attempt to found "Hilliardstown." David Hunter purchased the abandoned village site in 1833. He re-surveyed the land in 1838 creating an eighteen lot, two street village that he named Huntersville. The village incorporated in 1848, but was annexed by the neighboring city of Piqua in 1893. At the time Huntersville had a population of over 760, its own school system, a volunteer fire department, gas lights, and an assortment of saloons, boarding houses, and grocery stores.
 
Erected 2007 by Piqua Community Foundation, Miami County Milestones Committee, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 27-55.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 8.724′ N, 84° 14.206′ W. Marker is in Piqua, Ohio, in Miami County. Marker is on 1st Street near E. Main Street, on the
The Village of Huntersville Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., March 6, 2009
2. The Village of Huntersville Marker
Shawnee Bridge in background, looking west.
left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at the east end of the Shawnee Bridge in Rowan Park. Marker is in this post office area: Piqua OH 45356, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Vice Admiral Stephen Clegg Rowan (a few steps from this marker); Shawnee Bridge (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The 1913 Flood (about 700 feet away); Lock Nine (about 800 feet away); Main Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lock Nine Riverfront Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Public Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); Capt. Don Gentile (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Piqua.
 
Categories. Political SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers
 
The Village of Huntersville Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., March 6, 2009
3. The Village of Huntersville Marker
In Rowan Park, with Vice Admiral Stephen Rowan, USN, memorial to left.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 837 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement