Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Williamsburg in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Oyster Shells to Mortar

 
 
Oyster Shells to Mortar Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, August 14, 2008
1. Oyster Shells to Mortar Marker
Inscription. Brick, lime, and pottery kilns operated throughout Jamestown. A small paved pit here, filled with oyster shells and moistened lime, marked a kiln where mortar or plaster was made. Different pits produced varying qualities of mortar and plaster. These different mortars in turn helped to identify structures built at the same time and from the same pit.
 
Erected by Colonial National Historic Park.
 
Location. 37° 12.477′ N, 76° 46.521′ W. Marker is near Williamsburg, Virginia, in James City County. Marker can be reached from Colonial Parkway, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in the "New Towne" section of the Historic Jamestown unit of Colonial National Historic Park. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gardens and Crops (a few steps from this marker); Ditch and Mound (within shouting distance of this marker); The Ambler House (within shouting distance of this marker); Inside a Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Efforts to Build a Town 1660-1699 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); An Upper-Class Neighborhood 1630s-1699 (about 300 feet away); Water and Well (about 300 feet away); Row Houses (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Williamsburg.
 
Also see . . .
1. Historic Jamestowne. Colonial National Historic Park from National Park Service website. (Submitted on March 24, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

2. Historic Jamestowne. Historic Jamestowne is the site of the first permanent English settlement in America. The site is jointly administered by APVA Preservation Virginia and the National Park Service. (Submitted on March 24, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. Colonial Era
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 579 times since then and 47 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement