Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Shadwell in Albemarle County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Edgehill

 
 
Edgehill Marker Photo, Click for full size
By J. J. Prats, March 8, 2009
1. Edgehill Marker
Inscription. The land was patented in 1735. The old house was built in 1790; the new in 1828. Here lived Thomas Mann Randolph, governor of Virginia 1819–1922, who married Martha, daughter of Thomas Jefferson.
 
Erected 1928 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number W-203.)
 
Location. 38° 0.917′ N, 78° 23.933′ W. Marker is near Shadwell, Virginia, in Albemarle County. Marker is at the intersection of Richmond Road (U.S. 250) and Louisa Road (Virginia Route 22), on the right when traveling west on Richmond Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charlottesville VA 22911, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shadwell, Birthplace of Thomas Jefferson (approx. 0.9 miles away); Thomas Jefferson (approx. one mile away); Southwest Mountains Rural Historic District (approx. 2.3 miles away); Textiles (approx. 2.9 miles away); Mulberry Row (approx. 2.9 miles away); Ice House (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Levy Legacy (approx. 2.9 miles away but has been reported missing); Colle (approx. 3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Edgehill 1982 National Register of Historic Places Final Nomination. “Beautifully sited among the rolling hills of eastern Albamrle County, in view of Monticello, Edgehill
Edgehill Marker Photo, Click for full size
By J. J. Prats, March 8, 2009
2. Edgehill Marker
was originally the home of Thomas Jefferson Randolph, favorite grandson of Thomas Jefferson. It was Randolph who served as his grandfather's executor and it was to him that Jefferson bequeathed his business and personal papers. Tne stately though conservative brick house was built in 1828 and is attributed on the basis of style and workmanship to the University of Virginia builders William B. Phillips and Malcolm F. Crawford. Standing near the house is a simple wooden dwelling that had served as the residence of Thomas Mann Randolph and his wife, Martha Jefferson Randolph, before Thomas Jefferson Randolph acquired the property in 1826 at the sale of his debtridden fatherís land and slaves. This older house functioned as part of the Edgehill School, a private academy, throughout the 19th century. Although the brick house was gutted by fire in 1916, the interior has been rebuilt, and the house today is the nucleus of one of Albemarle Countyís great historic estates.” (Submitted on March 25, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
Edgehill Photo, Click for full size
3. Edgehill
This photo was submitted with the National Register of Historic Places nomination.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,327 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement