Inscription. Built circa 1850. Owned by M. John C. Statham. He provided homes for widows of Civil War Veterans; donated land for right-of-way of railroad; streets for town, and a lot for a Methodist Church -- now the city cemetery. Statham, incorporated Dec. 20, 1892, named in honor of its founder, M.J.C. Statham. First Post Office known as Barberís Creek, 1846; then DeLay, 1854; and changed to Statham in 1892. Statham was originally known as Calamit Village, part of the Talasee Colony on the Ocoloco Trail, inhabited by Creek and Cherokee Indians. In 1784 white settlers paid Indian Chief Umausauga 14 pounds of beads for land from Calamit to Snodon and Poganip calling it Beadland.
By David Seibert, November 13, 2004
|1. Statham House Marker|
Erected 1977 by City of Statham.
Location. 33° 57.923′ N, 83° 35.699′ W. Marker is in Statham, Georgia, in Barrow County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street and Wise Court, on the right when traveling east on Broad Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1933 Broad Street, Statham GA 30666, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Statham High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Pentecost (approx. 3.8 miles away); Russell House (approx. 6.3 miles away); Glenwood Elementary and High School (approx. 6.8 miles away); Bethlehem United Methodist Church (approx. 7.2 miles away); Barrow County (approx. 7.5 miles away); The Stoneman Raid Battle of King's Tanyard (approx. 7.5 miles away); Builder of the Nation (approx. 7.5 miles away).
By David Seibert, March 19, 2009
|2. Statham House Marker|
|The small duplex house where the marker stands would not appear to have been built in the 1850s....|
Regarding Statham House. There are a number of attractive Victorian-style houses in the area, but the Statham House is apparently no longer standing.
Credits. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,072 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 26, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |