Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Charity Newsies

 
 
The Charity Newsies Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 10, 2009
1. The Charity Newsies Marker
Inscription. The founding of the philanthropic organization Charity Newsies stems from a cold, blustery day in December 1907, when a small newspaper boy stood on the corner of Broad and High streets. Inside the nearby Billyís Chophouse, entertainers George Baker and Harry Shunk talked to C.C. Philbrick, publisher of the new Ohio Sun Newspaper about the areaís poor children needing clothing. They noticed the newspaper boy and brought him to the Chophouse to get warm. On a spur of the moment they took his newspapers outside, shouting “Itís all for charity,” and sold all the papers. The money was given to the boy. Realizing potential, the men decided to raise additional funds for the poor by selling the Ohio Sun Newspaper and recruited others to help. On December 20, 1907, the Sunday before Christmas, 50 men sold a special edition of the paper and raised $702.42, 100% for charity.
 
Erected 2007 by The Charity Newsies and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 95-25.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 3.151′ N, 83° 0.001′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on Indianola
The Charity Newsies Mission Statement image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 10, 2009
2. The Charity Newsies Mission Statement
"No child should ever have to be kept out of school for the lack of adequate clothing."
Avenue (U.S. 23), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4300 Indianola Avenue, Columbus OH 43214, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ohio School for the Deaf (approx. 0.9 miles away); Beechwold Pillars (approx. 1.2 miles away); Rand P. Hollenback (approx. 1.3 miles away); Ohio State School for the Blind (approx. 1.5 miles away); East North Broadway Historic District (approx. 1.6 miles away); Clintonville / Clinton Township (approx. 1.7 miles away); Brigadier General Roswell Sabin Ripley, CSA (approx. 2.5 miles away); Worthington Masonic Museum (approx. 2.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  Charity Newsies. (Submitted on March 29, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. 20th CenturyCharity & Public WorkNotable Events
 
The Charity Newsies Marker Dedication image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 10, 2009
3. The Charity Newsies Marker Dedication
May 25, 2007. In memory of all past Charity Newsies and special friends who contributed to the organization in many extra ways. Because of their efforts, thousands of needy school children were provided with adequate clothing for school.
The Charity Newsies Thank You image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 10, 2009
4. The Charity Newsies Thank You
100% appreciation and gratitude to all Charity Newsies and benefactors whose continued support of "It's All For The Children" will never be forgotten.
The Charity Newsies Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 10, 2009
5. The Charity Newsies Building and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 765 times since then and 103 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement