Emmitsburg in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
William Elder, Sr.
William Elder, Sr., named this land Mount Saint Mary's & established (ca. 1743) his home "Pleasant Level" and the Elder Cemetery on the plain below. His family deeded (October 24, 1793) this mountain land for a church. In respect for the living God & in honor of our Elder forbears. this plaque is dedicated, June 18, 1989.
Old William, your children have come home.
Erected 1989 by His descendants.
Location. 39° 40.891′ N, 77° 21.345′ W. Marker is in Emmitsburg, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker can be reached from Grotto Road 0 miles from St. Anthony Rd. Click for map. Marker is adjacent to the parking area for the National Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes at the end of Grotto Road. Marker is in this post office area: Emmitsburg MD 21727, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The John Hughes Cabin (here, next to this marker); Site of Father Dubois House (here, next to this marker); Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton (a few steps from this marker); Pangborn Memorial Campanile (within shouting distance of this marker); Cornerstone of the Old Church on the Hill National Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes (within shouting distance of this marker); Amleto Cardinal Cicognani (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Corpus Christi Chapel (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Emmitsburg.
Additional keywords. St. Elizabeth Ann Seton; Mount St. Mary's University; National Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes; Grotto.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,082 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.