Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Roy J. Plunkett

June 26, 1910 - May 12, 1994

 
 
Roy J. Plunkett Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., March 15, 2009
1. Roy J. Plunkett Marker
Inscription. Roy J. Plunkett was born in New Carlisle, Ohio, and graduated from Newton Township High School in Pleasant Hill. He received his B.A. degree from Manchester College before enrolling as a graduate student in chemistry at The Ohio State University, receiving his Ph.D. in 1936 under the direction of William Lloyd Evans in the McPherson Chemical Laboratory. On April 6, 1938, while employed by the Du Pont Company to develop a nontoxic refrigerant, Plunkett discovered TeflonŽ, one of the most important polymers of the 20th century. On that day, Dr. Plunkett opened a tank of gaseous tetrafluoroethylene only to find that the gas was gone--its molecules had combined with another (“polymerized”) to form a solid material. Teflon has been used on cookware, the outer skin of space suits, nose cones of space vehicles, bone replacement, and much more.
 
Erected 2003 by The Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The International Paper Company Foundation, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 48-25.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 0.139′ N, 83° 0.704′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin
Roy J. Plunkett Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., March 15, 2009
2. Roy J. Plunkett Marker
The Celeste Laboratory of Chemistry is in background.
County. Marker is on 18th Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is on The Ohio State University campus, in the courtyard south of the Celeste Laboratory of Chemistry, west of the Newman and Wolfram Laboratory of Chemistry, and east of McPherson Chemical Lab. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 W. 18th Avenue, Columbus OH 43210, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wilbur H. Siebert Collection (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); University Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Ohio State University (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Underground Railroad on University Land (approx. 0.3 miles away); Browning Amphitheatre / The Outdoor Performance Center (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named The Underground Railroad on University Land (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named The Underground Railroad on University Land (approx. 0.3 miles away); General Curtis E. LeMay (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
 
Also see . . .  Roy J. Plunkett. (Submitted on March 31, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Categories. 20th CenturyEducationIndustry & CommerceNotable EventsNotable PersonsScience & Medicine
 
Paul J. Flory Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., March 15, 2009
3. Paul J. Flory
Nobel laureate in chemistry. OSU graduate 1931. Erected June 1985. Ohio Staters, Inc. Marker is located near the west facade of McPherson Chemical Lab.
Paul J. Flory Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr.
4. Paul J. Flory Marker
Marker to left of west entrance to McPherson Chemical Lab.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 887 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement