Concord in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Dedicated to the Founders of Todos Santos
In 1868 Don Salvio Pacheco; his son, Don Fernando Pacheco; and his son-in-law, Don Francisco Galindo had 20 acres of land, adjacent to the old Pacheco-Clayton road, surveyed for the village they called Todos Santos. It contained 19 residential and commercial blocks and a public plaza. In 1869 building lots were offered at no cost to former merchants and residents of the nearby town of Pacheco which had been battered by flood, fire, and earthquake. Soon many additional settlers arrived. Among them were immigrants - gold and coal miners, and ranchers who desired to take advantage of the opportunity, the climate, and the ideal location of Todos Santos. By 1869, the village had become known as Concord. It was officially incorporated in 1905. Today the City of Concord is the largest in Contra Costa County.
The original central plaza had been dedicated as a public park by the Founders in perpetuity to the people of Todos Santos. By 1970, the park, also identified as Pacheco Square, had been formally designated Todos Santos Plaza. Many varieties of trees and flowers -- especially the very popular wisteria -- have been grown in the plaza. A bandstand, two naval cannons, a perimeter
Todos Santo Plaza is designated Concord Historical Landmark
Concord Redevelopment Agency • Concord Historical Society
Erected 1994 by Concord Redevelopment Agency and the Concord Historical Society.
Location. 37° 58.615′ N, 122° 2.013′ W. Marker is in Concord, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is on Willow Pass Road near Grant Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Concord CA 94520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Perry House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Fire Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bibber House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Neustaedter House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alves House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Barnett House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Elworthy House (approx. ¼ mile away); Bolla House (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Concord.
More about this marker. The marker is attached to the base of the flagpole on the Willow Pass Road side of the park.
Also see . . . Todos Santos. The Cowell Historical Society's webpage for the history of Todos Santos Plaza, including pictures. The website has a number of pages on various facets of Concord's history, including the interesting story of how somewhere between the names of Todos Santos and Concord, the place was also known as "Drunken Indian". (Submitted on March 29, 2009.)
Categories. • Hispanic Americans • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,770 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.