Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jekyll Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Horton House Historic Site

Warehouse Ruins

 

—Jekyll Island —

 
Horton House Historic Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 18, 2009
1. Horton House Historic Site Marker
Inscription. Jekyll Island was vey isolated from St. Simons and Brunswick in the 18th & 19th centuries. Due to this isolation the du Bignon family was mostly self-sufficient, as were previous owners of the island such as William Horton.

What is now visible in this area - tabby ruins along the marsh and a brick lined well - are only a glimpse of the extensive plantation that operated on this island for over a hundred years. Most of the buildings have been lost to time and concealed by the ground, but what is known about these missing treasures paints a vivid picture of a flourishing plantation. There were wooden barns and malt houses, stables, an Overseer's home, slave quarters and several other outbuildings.

During the du Bignon family's time on the island several other families rented land and lived here as well. Jekyll Island was isolated, but it was also a thriving community.

How do you know that ?
The information provided on these panels was gathered by two methods, documentary research and archaeological investigations. This historic site has been of great interest since 1898, when the first attempt at preserving the site was organized by Jekyll Island Club members.

Primary documents, such as personal letters written by Christophe du Bignon or census and tax records, helps archaeologists
Horton House Historic Site Map image. Click for full size.
Horton House Historic Site Marker, March 18, 2009
2. Horton House Historic Site Map
determine what is missing. If the records are detailed, they may even be fortunate enough to know precisely where a missing building was located before a survey or excavation begins.

Unfortunately many of the primary historical documents are not more specific then to describe a wooden barn or a "good house for his Overseer about thirty by twenty." These references have at least given archaeologists clues about where to search for the missing sites. Recent archaeological work has provided estimated locations of the kitchen and slave quarters of the du Bignon family.
 
Erected by Friends of Historic Jekyll Island, Inc. Jekyll Island Museum.
 
Location. 31° 6.002′ N, 81° 24.929′ W. Marker is in Jekyll Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Riverview Drive, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. South of the Horton House Ruins. Marker is in this post office area: Jekyll Island GA 31527, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Horton House Historical Site (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Horton House Historic Site (about 600 feet away); Major William Horton (about 700 feet away); Le Sieur Christophe Anne Poulain Du Bignon
Warehouse ruins image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 18, 2009
3. Warehouse ruins
Sometimes called Georgia's First Brewery. Large pieces of tabby seen here on the bank of the creek, now known as du Bignon Creek, mark the site and are the remains of the first brewery established in Georgia. Crops of barley, rye, and hops, planted and raised in Horton's fields on Jekyll, were used in making beer for the soldiers at nearby Frederica on St. Simons Island. Major William Horton, of Oglethorpe's Regiment, was the first English resident of Jekyll Island. The remains of Horton's tabby house stand northeast of this brewery. See Nearby Markers ( GlynnCounty.com )
(about 700 feet away); Tabby (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Horton House Historic Site (about 700 feet away); Poulain DuBignon and DuBignon Burying Ground (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Horton House Historical Site (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Jekyll Island.
 
Also see . . .  Glynn County GA. (Submitted on March 29, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USColonial Era
 
Warehouse " tabby" ruins image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 18, 2009
4. Warehouse " tabby" ruins
Horton House Historic Warehouse Ruins Site image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 2009
5. Horton House Historic Warehouse Ruins Site
National register of Historic Places:
Horton-duBignon House, Brewery Ruins, duBignon Cemetery *** (added 1971 - District - #71000278) • Riverview Dr., Jekyll Island • Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Event • Architect, builder, or engineer: Horton,Maj. William • Architectural Style: No Style Listed • Area of Significance: Agriculture, Social History, Architecture, Military, Industry • Period of Significance: 1700-1749, 1750-1799, 1850-1874 • Owner: State • Historic Function: Agriculture/Subsistence, Domestic, Funerary • Historic Sub-function: Cemetery, Processing, Single Dwelling • Current Function: Landscape, Vacant/Not In Use • Current Sub-function: Park
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 776 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement