Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Keswick in Albemarle County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Southwest Mountains Rural Historic District

 
 
Southwest Mountains Rural Historic District Marker Photo, Click for full size
By J. J. Prats, March 8, 2009
1. Southwest Mountains Rural Historic District Marker
Inscription. Extending from the Orange County line on the north to the outskirts of Charlottesville with the Southwest Mountains forming its spine, this historic district encompasses more than 31,000 acres and contains some of the Piedmontís most pristine and scenic countryside. Thomas Jefferson often traveled along the eastern side of the Southwest Mountains to Philadelphia and Washington, D. C. and referred to the mountains as the “Eden of the United States.” The district includes a broad range of 18th through early 20th century rural architecture, reflecting the evolving cultural patterns of more than 250 years of settlement. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.
 
Erected 2005 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number GA-43.)
 
Location. 38° 1.397′ N, 78° 21.486′ W. Marker is in Keswick, Virginia, in Albemarle County. Marker is at the intersection of Louisa Road (U.S. 22) and Keswick Road (County Route 731), on the right when traveling west on Louisa Road. Click for map. It is at the Keswick post office. Marker is in this post office area: Keswick VA 22947, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Edgehill
Southwest Mountains Rural Historic District Marker Photo, Click for full size
By J. J. Prats, March 8, 2009
2. Southwest Mountains Rural Historic District Marker
(approx. 2.3 miles away); Shadwell, Birthplace of Thomas Jefferson (approx. 3.2 miles away); Thomas Jefferson (approx. 3.3 miles away); Colle (approx. 5.2 miles away); Castle Hill (approx. 5.2 miles away); Textiles (approx. 5.2 miles away); Mulberry Row (approx. 5.2 miles away); Ice House (approx. 5.2 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Southwest Mountains Rural Historic District - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. (Submitted on November 5, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
2. Southwest Mountains National Register Rural Historic District Map. (Submitted on September 12, 2009, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
3. Journey Through Hallowed Ground. “The Southwest Mountains Rural Historic District is over 31,000 acres bordered by 1-64 just before Charlottesville on the south, Rte. 20 on the west, the Orange County line on the north, and the C & O Railroad tracks on the east. ” (Submitted on March 29, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
Panorama of the Southwest Mountains Rural Historic District Photo, Click for full size
By Paul Crumlish, September 12, 2009
3. Panorama of the Southwest Mountains Rural Historic District
Old Keswick (1736, 1818, 1832) Photo, Click for full size
By Paul Crumlish, October 22, 2011
4. Old Keswick (1736, 1818, 1832)
Originally built as a hunting lodge for a nearby estate, it has been expanded several times to become the center piece for an 550 acre equestrian estate.
Clover Fields (1848) Photo, Click for full size
By Paul Crumlish, October 22, 2011
5. Clover Fields (1848)
Built on one of the original land grants in Albemarle County, it has been home to the Meriwether family for eleven generations. Explorer Meriwether Lewis's mother, Lucy Meriwether, was born here. His father, William Lewis, is buried in the family graveyard on the estate. The current house was completed in 1848.
Edgeworth (1837) Photo, Click for full size
By Paul Crumlish, June 16, 2012
6. Edgeworth (1837)
One of the largest antebellum plantation houses in Albemarle County. It was built on the site of the Rev. James Maury parsonage, where Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and James Monroe received their early education.
Keswick Hunt Club (1898) Photo, Click for full size
By Paul Crumlish, June 16, 2012
7. Keswick Hunt Club (1898)
A late Eclectic Victorian hunt club remains the social center of the area for over one hundred years.
Castalia stone barn complex (1929) Photo, Click for full size
By Paul Crumlish, June 16, 2012
8. Castalia stone barn complex (1929)
Tudor Revival style random rubble stone barn at the heart of the working farm.
East Belmont (1834) Photo, Click for full size
By PaulwC3, June 8, 2013
9. East Belmont (1834)
Built on the land farmed since the 1730s, the first house was built around 1811, with the current Federal style mansion built in 1834.
Grace Church (1896) Photo, Click for full size
By Paul Crumlish, September 12, 2009
10. Grace Church (1896)
Added to the National Register of Historic Places (1976)
The ruins of the A.J. Bell store Photo, Click for full size
By Paul Crumlish, September 12, 2009
11. The ruins of the A.J. Bell store
Representative of the abandoned commercial buildings throughout the area is the the A. J. Bell store, located in Cobham, next to the Chesapeake & Ohio rail line.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,211 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   3, 4, 5. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.   6, 7, 8. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.   9. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.   10. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.   11. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement