Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Patrick Church / St. Patrick College and Aquinas College High School

 
 
St. Patrick Church Marker (Side A) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., February 20, 2009
1. St. Patrick Church Marker (Side A)
Inscription. Side A:
St. Patrick Church
Built in 1852 and dedicated a year later, St. Patrick Church is the second oldest Roman Catholic Church in Columbus. Founded as the English speaking parish, this church of Norman Gothic design served as the home for three future bishops. Located on Naghten Street, the “Irish Broadway” of the nineteenth century, St. Patrick's parish provided a vital place for the acculturation of the neighborhood Irish immigrants into mainstream American society. The Irish heritage is remembered through the shamrocks that emblazon the heads of each pew. Severely damaged by “the Great Fire” in 1935, the church was quickly restored and serves today as a vibrant religious center for central Ohio. The Dominican Fathers have staffed St. Patrick Church since 1885.

Side B:
St. Patrick College and Aquinas College High School
On this site in September 1905, the Dominican Fathers opened their classical preparatory school for the Diocese of Columbus, St. Patrick's College. Beginning with sixty-two young men and three Dominican professors, in February 1906 this institution moved two blocks east to a newly constructed building at Mt. Vernon and Washington Avenues. Built through the vision of Dominican Father Lawrence F. Kearney and Bishop James J.
St. Patrick College and Aquinas College High School Marker (Side B) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., February 20, 2009
2. St. Patrick College and Aquinas College High School Marker (Side B)
Hartley, both men had a dream of a Catholic college for central Ohio. The State of Ohio provided a college charter in 1911, and the institution became Aquinas College. While the full range of college courses never developed, this institution, known as Aquinas College High School, educated over six thousand young men until its closing in August 1965.
 
Erected 2003 by St. Patrick Church Sesquicentennial Committee and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 73-25.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 58.126′ N, 82° 59.525′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Grant Street and Naghten Street, on the right when traveling north on Grant Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 280 Nort Grant Street, Columbus OH 43215, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Elijah Pierce (approx. 0.3 miles away); Home Site of Henry Howe — Historian (approx. 0.4 miles away); James Thurber (approx. 0.4 miles away); George Bellows / Roy Lichtenstein
St. Patrick Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., February 20, 2009
3. St. Patrick Church and Marker
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of First Wendy's Restaurant (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Joseph Cathedral (approx. 0.4 miles away); Discovery Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkChurches, Etc.EducationNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,203 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement