Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greenville in Darke County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Treaty of Greene Ville 1795

 
 
Treaty of Greene Ville 1795 Marker (Side A) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., February 15, 2009
1. Treaty of Greene Ville 1795 Marker (Side A)
Inscription. Marker Front:
Following General Anthony Wayne's victory at Fallen Timbers, members of the western tribes assembled at Fort Greene Ville to settle on terms of peace. Representatives of the Wyandot, Delaware, Shawnee, Ottawas, Chippewa, Ottawa, Pattawatimi, Miami, Eel River, Wea, Piankeshaw, Kickapoo, and Kaskaskia signed the treaty on August 3, and agreed to cede claims to lands east of the Cuyahoga River to Fort Laurens in Tuscarawas County and south of a line running west to Fort Recovery. In return, the United States offered payment and annuities in the form of goods and ceded claim to most land north and west of the treaty line. This treaty marked the end of the Indian Wars in the Ohio Country, forsaking boundary violations by both parties, and established the official western border of the United States, opening much of Ohio for settlement.

Marker Reverse:
The United States also retained a number of acres inside the Indian Lands for trading posts, safe travel and 150 thousand acres at the Falls of Ohio assigned to General Clark.
 
Erected 2003 by The Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Marietta Chapter NSDAR, Treat of Greene Ville Bicentennial Commission, Fort Greenville DAR and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 4-19.)
 
Marker series.
Treaty of Greene Ville 1795 Marker (Side B) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., February 15, 2009
2. Treaty of Greene Ville 1795 Marker (Side B)
This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 6.175′ N, 84° 37.999′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Ohio, in Darke County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Ohio Route 49) and Main Street (Ohio Route 121), on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Click for map. Marker sits about 100 feet north of the fountain on the public square, just north of the parking area adjacent to the square. Marker is in this post office area: Greenville OH 45331, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Green-Ville (within shouting distance of this marker); Treaty of Greeneville (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Water Street Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Signing of the Treaty of Greene Ville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Anthony Wayne Flag Pole (approx. mile away); Treaty of Greene Ville Peace Medal (approx. mile away); Annie Oakley, 1860 - 1926 (approx. 0.3 miles away); In Memory of Tecumseh (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Greenville.
 
Categories. GovernmentMilitaryNative AmericansPeaceSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian
 
Treaty of Greene Ville 1795 Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., February 15, 2009
3. Treaty of Greene Ville 1795 Marker
Looking north.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,545 times since then and 132 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement