HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Near Boyce in Clarke County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Greenway Court
 
Greenway Court Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, July 15, 2007
1. Greenway Court Marker
 
Inscription. Three miles south is Greenway Court, residence of Thomas, Sixth Lord Fairfax, proprietor of the vast Northern Neck Grant, which he inherited. Born in Leeds Castle, England, in 1693, Fairfax settled in Virginia, in 1747, for the rest of his life. He made Greenway Court his home in 1751. George Washington, employed as a surveyor on this grant, was there frequently in his youth. Fairfax died there, December 9, 1781.
 
Erected 1948 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number T 3.)
 
Location. 39° 4.978′ N, 78° 5.034′ W. Marker is near Boyce, Virginia, in Clarke County. Marker is at the intersection of Lord Fairfax Parkway (U.S. 340) and John Mosby Highway (U.S. 17 / 50), on the right when traveling south on Lord Fairfax Parkway. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Boyce VA 22620, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Saratoga (approx. 1.4 miles away); Town of Boyce (approx. 1.5 miles away); Blandy Experimental Farm (approx. 1.5 miles away); Clark County / Frederick County (approx. 1.7 miles away); White Post (approx. 1.9 miles away); 1750 A.D. (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Briars (approx. 2.6 miles away); Millwood (approx. 2.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Boyce.
 
Greenway Court Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, July 15, 2007
2. Greenway Court Marker
 

 
Regarding Greenway Court. Greenway Court was a set of buildings around what is today White Post. Only a handful of the original Greenway Court buildings are still standing. The land office is located on private property, but Porter’s Lodge stands just south of White Post on Route 685.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Lord Fairfax's estates in Virginia
 
Also see . . .
1. “This Land is My Land... All 5 Million Acres of It!”. A discussion of the Fairfax Grants. (Submitted on July 18, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

2. Short Biography of Lord Fairfax. With additional notes regarding the grant and the family tree. (Submitted on July 18, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

3. George Washington: Surveyor and Mapmaker. (Submitted on July 18, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
4. Lost Domestic Architecture: Greenway Court. (Submitted on July 18, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
 
Additional comments.
1. Lord Fairfax vs. Jost Hite
When first examining his grant, Lord Fairfax noticed many occupants claiming grants made by the colony of Virginia directly to land he had inherited. He opted for a system of rents placed on what he considered squatters. Of those affected, Jost Hite was perhaps the most notable. Hite was given a rather generous grant in 1731 from the colony with no requirement for a single enclosure survey. Hite thus could pick the best ground for any settlement. Fairfax felt Hite abused this grant by creating a gerrymandered tract, detracting from Fairfax’s surveys and thus prohibiting expansion of Fairfax’s lands. The case was first heard in 1749, only escalating to the colony’s higher courts in 1771. Years of judgments and appeals followed, and the entire affair was not legally settled until 1802.
 
Porter's Lodge Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, September 15, 2007
3. Porter's Lodge
Off Route 658 South of White Post, this stone building with later wood structure additions was built in the 1760s. It is one of four original Greenway Court structures still standing. Lord Fairfax's manor house stood nearby, but was demolished in the first half of the 1800s.
 
    — Submitted July 18, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
 
Livery Stable and General Store Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, July 15, 2007
4. Livery Stable and General Store
While not an original Greenway Court structure, the stable and store dates to 1797, and still stands at White Post.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,524 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3. submitted on September 15, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   4. submitted on July 18, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 496 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.