Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Petersburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Two Noted Homes

 
 
Two Noted Homes Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, March 29, 2009
1. Two Noted Homes Marker
Inscription. Half a block south is the home of Major General William Mahone, famed for his gallant conduct at the Battle of the Crater, July 30, 1864. Two blocks south is the Wallace Home, where Abraham Lincoln conferred with General Grant, April 3, 1865, preceding Grant's march to Appomattox.

Virginia Conservation & Development Commission. For the City of Petersburg 1931
 
Erected 1931 by Virginia Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number QA 14.)
 
Location. 37° 13.625′ N, 77° 24.413′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of West Washington Street (U.S. 1) and North Market Street, on the left when traveling west on West Washington Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg VA 23803, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Folly Castle (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Paul's Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); General Lee's Headquarters (approx. 0.2 miles away); Joseph Jenkins Roberts (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lincoln In Petersburg (approx. 0.2
W Washington Street & N Market Street. Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, March 29, 2009
2. W Washington Street & N Market Street.
miles away); Old U.S. Customs House & Post Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); North Carolina Confederate Hospital (approx. mile away); Formation of the Southern Methodist Church (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Petersburg.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Wallace-Seward House built in 1855. Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, March 29, 2009
3. Wallace-Seward House built in 1855.
Lincol and Grant met here for the last time on April 3, 1865. Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, March 29, 2009
4. Lincol and Grant met here for the last time on April 3, 1865.
For a few hours following the evacuation of Petersburg the abandoned building was occupied as headquarters by General Grant. On the porch Grant discussed with President Lincoln, just arrived from City Point, the terms of the expected surrender of General Lee.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 820 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement