Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Flat Rock

 
 
Flat Rock Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, March 20, 2009
1. Flat Rock Marker
Inscription. On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of

Flat Rock

Identified with the Flat Rock Church and School that existed in the early 20th century, Flat Rock has African American roots that extend back many generations. This area located around present day Bostwick Highway, Sandy Creek Road, and Nolan Store Road in the Harris Militia District, has long had an agricultural character, which included the cultivation of cotton, livestock, and fruit and nut orchards. African Americans were essential to the success of the agrarian economy, and as the economy thrived, so did these communities.

Prior to the organization of Flat Rock, several schools and churches served the African American communities in this area. By 1894 there were two schools for African American children: Brooks Chapel and Holland Springs, which existed until around 1928 and 1957 respectively. Brooks Chapel appears to have served as a school and a church, as the remnants of a damaged cemetery have been identified near the intersection of Bostwick Highway and Sandy Creek Road.

Flat Rock Church was organized around 1896. According to church history, the original building was located near a large flat rock on the banks of Sandy Creek. After a fire destroyed the original
Flat Rock Baptist Church Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, March 20, 2009
2. Flat Rock Baptist Church
building, the church was relocated to its present site c. 1910. By 1932, existing records place Flat Rock School at the same location as Flat Rock Church, in existence until at least 1957. Attendance registers for Flat Rock School often listed farm work as the predominant reason for absenteeism.

Because of the individuals who take pride in this community, Springfield is recognized as a significant part of our county history.
 
Erected 2008 by Morgan County Bicentennial Committee.
 
Location. 33° 40.86′ N, 83° 29.966′ W. Marker is near Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is on Bostwick Road (Georgia Route 83) 0 miles north of Flat Rock Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is located at the Flat Rock Baptist Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3911 Bostwick Road, Madison GA 30650, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mallory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Apalachee (approx. 3.7 miles away); Bostwick (approx. 4 miles away); Fairplay (approx. 4.8 miles away); Vernacular Construction (approx. 5.8 miles away); Dorsey (approx. 5.9 miles away); Confederate Dead (approx. 6 miles away); The Town Park (approx. 6.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
 
Categories. African AmericansAgricultureChurches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,147 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement