Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Charles City in Charles City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Blanks Crossroads

Charles City County, Virginia

 
 
Blanks Crossroads Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 28, 2009
1. Blanks Crossroads Marker
Inscription. This intersection of the Old Main Road, or Ridgepath, and the road from Soanes Bridge to Kennons, derives its name from an eighteenth-century tavern owned by the Blanks family. Blanks Tavern was one of a few licensed ordinaries in colonial Charles City County. Other landmarks have included an Oldfield school, Manoah Baptist Church (1848 - 1933) and the first Methodist Meeting House (est. 1791), also known as Charles City Chapel. Prominent area homes have included Ballardsville and Sunnyside, the home of Charles City County physician Dr. Gideon Christian. Soldiers Rest, the home of Revolutionary War soldier “Fighting Joe Christian,” was also located in this vicinity. Area resident Lemuel E. Babcock was Charles City County’s delegate to the Constitutional Convention of 1867 and William Page, a freedman, became a major landowner here in the years after the Civil War.
 
Erected by Charles City County.
 
Location. 37° 22.362′ N, 77° 0.294′ W. Marker is near Charles City, Virginia, in Charles City County. Marker is at the intersection of Sturgeon Point Road and The Glebe Lane, on the right when traveling south on Sturgeon Point Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charles City VA 23030, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Sturgeon Point Road & The Glebe Lane (facing north). image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 28, 2009
2. Sturgeon Point Road & The Glebe Lane (facing north).
At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Binns Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away); Piney Grove and Southalls (approx. 1.4 miles away); Piney Grove (approx. 1.5 miles away); Dedicated To Learning (approx. 2.1 miles away); Ruthville (approx. 2.1 miles away); President Tyler's Home (approx. 2.5 miles away); Fort Pocahontas (approx. 3.3 miles away); Sturgeon Point & Kennons (approx. 3.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Charles City.
 
Also see . . .  Charles City County Historical Markers. (Submitted on April 2, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USChurches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 856 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement