Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Erwinna in Bucks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

John J. Stover House

 
 
John J. Stover House Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Alan Edelson, April 2, 2009
1. John J. Stover House Marker
Inscription. This histric house and farm was given to the people of Bucks County by John J. Stover, May 1955, to become the first county park.

Dedicated October 5, 1970
 
Erected 1970.
 
Location. 40° 30.333′ N, 75° 4.038′ W. Marker is in Erwinna, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is on River Road (Pennsylvania Route 32), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 921 River Road, Upper Black Eddy PA 18972, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Golden Pheasant Inn (approx. one mile away); Lower Agrillite Alley (approx. one mile away in New Jersey); Delaware Canal (approx. 1.4 miles away); Frenchtown Railroad (approx. 1.4 miles away in New Jersey); Gem Building (approx. 1.5 miles away in New Jersey); Frenchtown (approx. 1.5 miles away in New Jersey); Frenchtown Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 1.6 miles away in New Jersey); Frenchtown Veterans Monument (approx. 1.7 miles away in New Jersey).
 
Regarding John J. Stover House. The house is an 1800 Federal-Style structure with additions added in 1840 and 1860. The land on which the house sits was purchased
John J. Stover House - Roadside Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Alan Edelson, April 2, 2009
2. John J. Stover House - Roadside Marker
by Arthur Erwin, an Irish immigrant, in 1761. William Erwin, Arthur's son, built the oldest part of the house in 1800. William's daughter inherited the house, and when she died in 1846, the house was purchased by Henry Stover, a miller, for around $8,800. Stover's son Jacob added the last addition to the house in the 1860s. It remained in the Stover family until the late 1950s when the house, and its 126 surrounding acres, was donated to the county to become the County's first park (Tinicum County Park).
 
Also see . . .  Erwin-Stover House. (Submitted on April 3, 2009.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
John J. Stover House and Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Alan Edelson, April 2, 2009
3. John J. Stover House and Marker
Marker is located on the house to the right of the front door.
John J. Stover House & Farm Photo, Click for full size
By Alan Edelson, April 2, 2009
4. John J. Stover House & Farm
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 849 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement