Flushing in Queens County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
William A. Shea Municipal Stadium
Robert F. Wagner
Abraham D. Beame
Paul R. Screvane
President of the Council
Mario J. Cariello
President, Borough of Queens
Commissioner of Parks 1934-1960
President, New York World's Fair - 1960-1965
Commissioner of Parks
Erected 1964 by The City of New York.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 40° 45.305′ N, 73° 50.815′ W. Marker was in Flushing, New York, in Queens County. Marker could be reached from Roosevelt Avenue near Grand Central Parkway. Click for map. Exit 9E of Grand Central Parkway. Marker was at or near this postal address: 123-01 Roosevelt Avenue, Corona NY 11368, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Unisphere (approx. 0.6 miles away); NYC Bomb and Forgery Squad Explosion Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Louis Armstrong House (approx. The Exedra (approx. 0.9 miles away); Friends Meeting House (approx. one mile away); Quaker Meeting House (approx. one mile away); Flushing Civil War Monument (approx. one mile away); In Honor of Queens Firefighters (approx. 2.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Flushing.
More about this marker. The marker was removed sometime in 2008 prior to the demolition of Shea Stadium. It is possible the City of New York or the New York Mets removed the marker for placement in a museum. Shea Stadium demolition commenced on October 10, 2008 and was completed on February 18, 2009.
Regarding William A. Shea Municipal Stadium. William A. Shea was responsible for the return of a National League MLB team to New York City after the departure of the New York Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers in 1957.
Shea Stadium was constructed in conjunction with the 1964/1964 New York World's Fair.
The Stadium was originally named "Flushing Meadow Park Municipal Stadium". Ground was broken on October 28,1961. The name was changed in 1963 to William A. Shea
Shea Stadium was the first "convertible" stadium. The lower level field box seats were set on tracks and rotated to provide seating and configuration as a foot ball stadium. The New York Jets played football at Shea between 1964 and 1983. Praeger-Kavanaugh-Waterbury, the Architects of Shea Stadium, actually patented the convertible stadium design.
— Submitted April 9, 2009, by Mary Ellen Coghlan of Warwick, New York.
2. Home Plate and Base Markers
The markers located in the parking lot are positioned at the exact location that they were in Shea Stadium. The figures on the markers depict the baseball player neon figures that were added to the stadium exterior circa 1980 when the "confetti" panels were removed.
— Submitted April 10, 2010, by Mary Ellen Coghlan of Warwick, New York.
Additional keywords. Shea Stadium New York Mets New York Metropolitan Baseball Club Flushing Meadow Park Municipal Stadium
Categories. • Sports •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mary Ellen Coghlan of Warwick, New York. This page has been viewed 2,333 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mary Ellen Coghlan of Warwick, New York. 6. submitted on , by Mary Ellen Coghlan of Warwick, New York. 7, 8. submitted on , by Mary Ellen Coghlan of Warwick, New York. 9. submitted on , by Mary Ellen Coghlan of Warwick, New York. 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. submitted on , by Mary Ellen Coghlan of Warwick, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.