Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Petersburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Battle of Petersburg

25 April 1781

 

—First Line Of Defense —

 
Battle of Petersburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 29, 2009
1. Battle of Petersburg Marker
Inscription. On 25 Apr. 1781, American Brig. Gen. Peter Muhlenberg formed his first line of 500 Virginia militia here to meet the British. The line extended along East Street from the Appomattox River to present-day Washington Street and consisted of two infantry regiments. Maj. Gen. William Phillips' 2,500-man army, including one Light Infantry battalion and the 76th and 80th Regiments of Foot, struck the Americans here. After several assaults and the deployment of four British cannon, the militia withdrew westward, through Blandford (then a separate town), across Lieutenant Run, and on to Madison Street in eastern Petersburg.
 
Erected 2005 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number QA 23.)
 
Location. 37° 14.082′ N, 77° 23.4′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of East Bank Street and East Street, on the right when traveling west on East Bank Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg VA 23803, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Battle of Petersburg (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Petersburg (approx. half a mile away); a
Corner of E Bank St & East St. facing west towards Petersburg. image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 29, 2009
2. Corner of E Bank St & East St. facing west towards Petersburg.
different marker also named Battle of Petersburg (approx. half a mile away); East Hill (approx. 0.6 miles away); Blandford Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Petersburg (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Petersburg (approx. 0.6 miles away); Blandford Church and Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Petersburg.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  The Battle of Blandford, also called the Battle of Petersburg. “ The first line was composed of the regiments of Thomas Merriweather and John Dick, with Merriweather’s anchoring the left of the line at the river, and Dick’s the right, extending into the hills south of Blandford.” (Submitted on April 23, 2016.) 
 
Categories. War, US Revolutionary
 
Facing east on E Bank St towards Poor Creek and the British position. image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 29, 2009
3. Facing east on E Bank St towards Poor Creek and the British position.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 842 times since then and 88 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement